Grapples. Whats the best tine spacing?

sd455dan

Elite Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
3,012
Location
North Idaho
Tractor
Rhino 554, JD550G dozer Gilson MTD riding mowers Ford 3000-Sold
9 inch spacing on mine - I tried sifting our silty soil with it a couple times and did OK, although closer tines would have been better.

Attachments

  • rhino-dirt pile 008.JPG
    rhino-dirt pile 008.JPG
    564.4 KB · Views: 402
 

oosik

Super Star Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
15,642
Location
AMBER, WA
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I have a Land Pride SGC 1560 rock & root grapple. About 95% of the time - used to move large rocks and huge chunks of pine tree trunk. Tine spacing is 6". The other 5% - scraping up brush and limbs.

I've had it seven + years now. Proven to be an excellent implement.

IMG_0011.jpeg
 

sea2summit

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
1,827
Location
Left coast of, GA
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
I guess it depends on machine capacity and what you want to use it for. Wider gaps is probably lighter, possibly not as strong. Also build quality, wider gaps gives less structural strength so poorly manufactured units would be more at risk for the “one bad weld” to be a major failure of the system.
 

cglaser104

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2016
Messages
701
Location
Lockport, NY
Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC1710, Cub Cadet 2206
I guess it depends on machine capacity and what you want to use it for. Wider gaps is probably lighter, possibly not as strong. Also build quality, wider gaps gives less structural strength so poorly manufactured units would be more at risk for the “one bad weld” to be a major failure of the system.
Yes and no here. All that depends on grade of steel, strength of steel, thickness of the plate used, quality of welds, gussets, etc etc. This is where the "you get what you pay for" comes into play.
 

4570Man

Super Star Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
15,059
Location
Crossville, TN
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
He’s putting in on a 9500 pound skid loader. A few extra pounds in the grapple won’t make any difference.
 
  
  • Thread Starter
#16  
OP
Hersheyfarm

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
562
Location
NE ky
I have a Land Pride SGC 1560 rock & root grapple. About 95% of the time - used to move large rocks and huge chunks of pine tree trunk. Tine spacing is 6". The other 5% - scraping up brush and limbs.

I've had it seven + years now. Proven to be an excellent implement.

View attachment 707413
well I went with the land pride/kubota grapple. Stumbled on rg3068 and got a good price I believe, $3500. The land pride stuff is very well built. Steel hydraulic lines and 3/4 tines on the grapples and 1/2 on the bottom. The tines are are spaced 9". The info in this thread tells me 6" would have been better but I liked the land pride stuff. Oh well, this obsessive researching for the best grapple for me is over. lol
next.
 

Midniteoyl

Elite Member
Joined
May 20, 2013
Messages
4,228
Location
N. W. Indiana
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, Ford 3400, Gizmow ZTR, Simplicity 7016H
well I went with the land pride/kubota grapple. Stumbled on rg3068 and got a good price I believe, $3500. The land pride stuff is very well built. Steel hydraulic lines and 3/4 tines on the grapples and 1/2 on the bottom. The tines are are spaced 9". The info in this thread tells me 6" would have been better but I liked the land pride stuff. Oh well, this obsessive researching for the best grapple for me is over. lol
next.
You'll be happy with it. No worries.
 

oosik

Super Star Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
15,642
Location
AMBER, WA
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
9" spacing - 6" spacing on the tines. Probably won't make a hill of beans difference.

You will find great pleasure in the uses of this grapple you have chosen.
 
  
  • Thread Starter
#19  
OP
Hersheyfarm

Hersheyfarm

Platinum Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2009
Messages
562
Location
NE ky
Thanks. They had a landpride 4 in 1 bucket that had been there for 4 years. I thought hard about it but this was the way to go. $3800 on the 4 in 1 I think.
 

Attachments

  • B0F77713-DA04-4F71-87BE-139B063ADC8A.jpeg
    B0F77713-DA04-4F71-87BE-139B063ADC8A.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
  • CC9B29D8-7769-47F2-8CC1-4480479790C0.jpeg
    CC9B29D8-7769-47F2-8CC1-4480479790C0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
 
 
Top