Gravely Pro turn ?

/ Gravely Pro turn ? #1  

paulfun9

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40
Posting on here under my husbands log on to get an Idea of what reaction to expect when he returns home.
Basically he is out of the country due to a very sick family member that needs assistance, this leaves me home with more chores than one can imagine. So I started to try and minimize them and maximize efficiency for what was left.
For this particular chore grass and field mowing I decided to stop cutting the field which drops me down to about 5 acres of yard around the house. Seems to me using the tractor and that huge rear attach mower is great for everything but without the big field it seemed a little excessive and cumbersome just cutting the yard. After talking with him on the phone he suggested that I do some research and buy a “decent quality” zero turn and use it till he gets back which for now is undetermined.
Anyway this leads to my concern as I am not nearly as mechanically inclined or as savvy at decifering the things that make one machine better than the next and balancing the cost into this type of decision.

So after looking at a few different mowers I settled on a Gravely Pro Turn with a 60 inch cutting deck, a Kawasaki engine that seemed to be built fairly well. It just looked like it was built a bit better than the others I looked at and when getting on or off nothing seemed to wobble, bend or shake like many of the others did. It also had some options that I thought would make life better like a suspension seat and I feel more confident having the roll over bar as this thing isn’t like steering any of our tractors. There is more that made my sister ( she went along and tried to help decipher and decide) and I decide to buy this one over the others we looked at but the question I have here is for the cost, performance and build quality will I be getting the look of “what the hell did you buy” or the “ wow honey you picked a real good mower” when he finally gets back home?

Thanks
Janet

/ Gravely Pro turn ? #2  
The ZT market is flooded with many good and some poor mowers. While I’m not personally familiar with your ZT, you chose wise options and that mower will serve you well for years to come. I too chose the Kawasaki engine, suspension seat and roll bar on my ZT.

And, ultimately, you made the best decision…leave the tractor to perform tractor duties and a mower to cut the grass.

I think you did very well!

Mike

/ Gravely Pro turn ? #4  
My guess is she is looking at the entry level one. It uses the ZT3100 transmissions which is a good thing. Gravely around these parts has a excellent reputation and is a very durable machine. The fact they sell one for $6599 bucks is amazing to me and a good thing for her. Her husband would be happy with it. I would be too. The lack of a suspension seat could be a factor if the yard is very bumpy. But some "jiggling" is expected on anything used to cut acres of grass. Buy it.

/ Gravely Pro turn ?
It is a ZX with the 23.5 horse power engine, 60 inch deck and if I am understanding the dealer correctly it has the 3200 transmissions and an industrial air filter to help with our very rural area and lots of possible filtration issues. The salesman seemed to listen to my concern about having a better transmission and assured me this was about the best I could get without buying, a as he put it fully loaded professional grade machine and getting into the 10,000 and over price tag.

Don’t get me wrong about the tractor, it mowed very well but if not doing all the field along with the yard it is more time consuming to atttach the mower and then seems senseless just doing yard.

Thanks for the feedback so far. My husband won’t ever get mad at a mistake but he is cursed with one flaw when it comes to dealing with my impulsive or lack of research when buying things. That is his facial expressions, He is a bad lier because he has never been able to hide his facial expressions when he tries to pass something off as no big deal when he really has a concern. He absolutely sucks at anything that requires a bluff, no poker face as they say. This may sound kind of silly but I just don’t like seeing the concerned look and would rather take it back and trade up than see it after the stress he is dealing with now.

Thanks again
Janet

/ Gravely Pro turn ? #6  
A good choice. I went from a Ford 1900 Diesel Tractor with a 72" mower deck to a Simplicity Citation XL with a 61" mower deck with full suspension front and rear for my bumpy 4 acres of cutting. It's faster, cuts better and uses the same amount of fuel at 2.5gals for the whole place.

/ Gravely Pro turn ? #7  
5 acres, 60” at a time, also seems like an arduous task. That’s a lot of grass. I’d buy a commercial type mower, which will not be found at a big box store. 27hp and up… preferrably up. 72” and larger deck.

My Hustler X-One has been a great 72” mower, and is full commercial duty, with serviceable, self contained drive units. Not cheap, but runs circles around anything at a big box store, with longevity to spare.

/ Gravely Pro turn ? #8  
5 acres, 60” at a time, also seems like an arduous task. That’s a lot of grass. I’d buy a commercial type mower, which will not be found at a big box store. 27hp and up… preferrably up. 72” and larger deck.

My Hustler X-One has been a great 72” mower, and is full commercial duty, with serviceable, self contained drive units. Not cheap, but runs circles around anything at a big box store, with longevity to spare.
Problem is that puts you in the $10,000 and over price tag they didn't want to do.

/ Gravely Pro turn ?
Assuming you mean places like Lowe’s, tractor supply and maybe home depo by big box stores. I didn’t shop anyplace like that! I shopped the places I see my husband shop when he buys things. All but one of the places I shopped also sell a full line of tractors and all the attachments. The place I decided to buy at also sells New Holland tractors and I remember going there to pick up a tractor and then a rear blade years ago.
I have heard the comments he makes when others start telling him about things they purchased at places like Lowe’s. That’s why I went out of my way to avoid them.

Anyway providing no one can point out any dreadful fault in the one I purchased, I think it will do fine providing I can get a handle on controlling it. Just took it off the trailer and actually cut some grass with it. Must have spun myself in a circle a hundred times before I got it to go in a straight line. Well almost straight!

Felt better after watching my sister attemp driving it. She would still be going in circles if I didn’t think to tell her to just shut it off.:)

Thanks again
Janet