Grease amount for king pins on Ford 1500

/ Grease amount for king pins on Ford 1500 #1  

vvanders

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4760
Doing the first set of service on our new-to-us Ford 1500. All the other zerks took 4-6 pumps before I could see grease come out but the king pins on the front axle took 30-40 and I still wasn't seeing anything come out. Grease was certainly going in, do they just take a ton of grease or is there a set amount where they are "good"?

/ Grease amount for king pins on Ford 1500 #2  
Is your 1500 a 4x4 or 2 wheel drive? A 4x4 takes a lot of grease. If you have a 4x4 then I have more information for you about greasing it.

/ Grease amount for king pins on Ford 1500
Yeah, we've got a 4x4. I ran the machine a bit yesterday and looks like some grease is getting down to the bearing just curious if other people see the same thing.

/ Grease amount for king pins on Ford 1500 #4  
Are you greasing the top zert on the 4x4 hub? The grease will not come out anywhere but the hub will show some grease on the outside after you turn the wheels back and forth a few times. If the hub is dry after making a few turns you can add more grease until the seals on the hub are no longer dry. I can post a picture of mine if needed.

/ Grease amount for king pins on Ford 1500 #5  
I have a 1700 4x4 that I bought new in 1980 and it is just like your 1500, so mine and yours have much the same features. There are a lot of other owners here so feel free to ask questions. Someone will always help you with the answer. This is a great forum.

/ Grease amount for king pins on Ford 1500 #6  
I do the same thing on my 4x4 1900, I pump some grease in it and then use it and as long as the grease comes out the sides a little when turning the wheels I figure it's good.

Steve