Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video
Gee, I missed this on Thursday. Stupid job! We had 50mph winds that day.
-------------------------------------------------

Seeking shelter from rough waters​

Front Page
Dec 3, 2021

12-3-erie-trader.jpg

Daver Karnosky/Daily Mining Gazette

The 740-foot Erie Trader makes its way to the Portage Lake Lift Bridge Thursday afternoon.

And the buoys were pulled by the Hollyhock on Friday. Missed that as well. Not a recent pic. This cutter is in town twice a year.
HOLLYHOCK.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------

Unusual visitor to Portage Lake. Mining Gazette​

d-eMUuFt-S0Nn2Ip4FYKeSWZb3WVWttW0iqoYqFa3JmVpaWyk8EpdypDc436C5KgjMT2EPPo9WJWWrRBpeCUqhuXl0Q2VOvqgJtCcVuOH6l2JgqF6pw6bXCJniEehr766llYufkNzfwagfBJbka2pUGPhIF87ui6GewltQ=s0-d-e1-ft

By: Garrett Neese

HOUGHTON — The U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Hollyhock (WLB-214), was on its way from Sault Ste. Marie to the North Entry of the Keweenaw Waterway Thursday afternoon, as it carries out the task of removing buoys and lane markers before the arrival ...

/ Great lake boats, a good video #703  
So they pull the buoys before ice, yet shipping continues. Begs the question, who uses the buoys?

Maybe a belts and suspenders kind of thing?
I'm not sure what "belts and suspenders kind of thing" is, but the CCG needs to pull them out when they still can. Less used waterways I'm sure are pulled 1st and the shipping industry is told when they are gone, proceed at your own risk.

The Hollyhock passed through town again today and from watching marine traffic site, he was pulling buoys out this time. I'll post more pics later. The wind was over 25mph and it sure was chilly on the waterfront! The Ranger is on right.
P1020819.jpg

/ Great lake boats, a good video #707  
The Hollyhock passed through town again today and from watching marine traffic site, he was pulling buoys out this time. I'll post more pics later. The wind was over 25mph and it sure was chilly on the waterfront! The Ranger is on right.View attachment 723495
Most of the iron boats lay up for the winter, don't they?

Most of the iron boats lay up for the winter, don't they?
The locks at the Soo do shut down which stops traffic to and from the lower lakes. As far as I know, iron pellets and coal do not get moved all winter. During WWII they did keep the locks open but stopped that right after the war.. A few boats do operate in the lower lakes, seems Algoma likes to keep a few boats running, but I have no idea what they are moving.