Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video
Moss has that correct. This is just south of the Sault Ste Marie MI, or our friends across the river in Sault Ste Marie Ontario CA. Seems the guys on the boats call it the rock cut.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #184  
Must be easier if all the mechanical stuff is in the Stern of he ship. Plus a lot of travel from stem to stern with a forward pilothouse.

I still always find it interesting that despite the "depth' of water the Fitz sits in, if you put the ship standing upright, it would be sticking out of the water.

Amazing amount of power! I wonder what the pro's and con's of forward pilothouse?

Its cost millions extra to have the pilot house up front, on the bow. They said boats have more accidents with it not being where pilots have better visibility but when ship owners tried it, it wasn't as bad as people guessed it would be. Most of the modern boats have pilot houses as wide as the boat is, to allow better visibility. Think of parking your car on ice, on a hillside, in high winds which will blow you sideways and you need to run you nice auto up against the building and not damage it. Oh and the building your parking against is over 1000 ft from your position. :laughing:

Last edited:
   / Great lake boats, a good video #186  
Must be easier if all the mechanical stuff is in the Stern of he ship. Plus a lot of travel from stem to stern with a forward pilothouse.

I still always find it interesting that despite the "depth' of water the Fitz sits in, if you put the ship standing upright, it would be sticking out of the water.

Yep, by about 200'.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #187  
I worked on the Fitzgerald prior to it breaking apart. Being a Mather boat, it was always lacking in ongoing maintenance and it was always a leaker..... Been away from lakes boats for many years now, kind of miss it except in late fall and early winter.

I worked on the Fitzgerald prior to it breaking apart. Being a Mather boat, it was always lacking in ongoing maintenance and it was always a leaker..... Been away from lakes boats for many years now, kind of miss it except in late fall and early winter.

Did you work under Captain Ernest McSorley??? For those who don't know, we was the captain when it sank.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #189  
Its cost millions extra to have the pilot house up front, on the bow. They said boats have more accidents with it not being where pilots have better visibility but when ship owners tried it, it wasn't as bad as people guessed it would be. Most of the modern boats have pilot houses as wide as the boat is, to allow better visibility. Think of parking your car on ice, on a hillside, in high winds which will blow you sideways and you need to run you nice auto up against the building and not damage it. Oh and the building your parking against is over 1000 ft from your position. :laughing:

Ha, many of the reason's im not a pilot. :D