Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video
I love these big machines and learning how they work. Of course industrial history is something I enjoy.

Here is the 6 hours of boat traffic seen on the river cams at Port Huron, Marine City and Algonac, Michigan on Aug 12, 2019! Is good they speed the film up and you can see them slipping sideways in the rivers current.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #473  
Some of them look like race cars sliding around a turn in the current.
Hard to imagine how many tons of material move through there in a day.
The sailing ship didn't seem to be making very good headway going upstream.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #474  
Reminds me of a story told to me by a pilot, who also happened to be a lawyer. Seems he did his pilot training on old WWII B-25's (wonder how long ago that was?); and he was getting in his required flying time, over the ocean on the West Coast. He spotted a fishing boat, and so he "buzzed" it. The occupant waved as he passed over the boat, so he did the same thing, this time lower...and the guy in the boat waved again.

He came in lower a third time; this time he opened the bomb-bay doors. He said the guy panicked and jumped in the ocean. When he got back to base, all the pilots were called on the carpet, but they couldn't determine which one it was, so I assumed he got away with it.

Some of them look like race cars sliding around a turn in the current.
Hard to imagine how many tons of material move through there in a day.
The sailing ship didn't seem to be making very good headway going upstream.
I can't say what the St Clair river tonnage is but the Soo's locks average is 80 million tons per year. The larger 1000ft boats can move more than 70,000 tons per trip when the lakes are full. Whereas the 750ft boats are a sparsity 30,000.

BIG blue #38 Kone crane was down bound today. Built in Two Rivers Wisconsin. Did you need some rocks dropped in at your lake cottage? :LOL:

The James Barker early morning departing of Duluth loaded with iron pellets. Running with nearly of 30ft of draft. That's a load!

/ Great lake boats, a good video #478  
I'd have loved to have a boat horn like that last night. Someone's dog was barking in the neighborhood about 4:00am. 🤣