Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video #601  
Learning something new today thanks! Also on a skinner uniflow the rod connecting the smaller piston to the larger piston is called a piston rod not connecting rod.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #602  
Hardly any wake. That whole business of having no thrusters to help turn and dropping the anchor to spin around is pretty darn impressive.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #603  
They have pulling that ship into it's slip like a choreographed science though, using its anchor and mooring lines to sharply pivot that ship is fun to watch.

I'm surprised that the badger has no thrusters... The Ranger III is the Isle boat that resides here in Houghton. In this video you can see its thrusters being used multiple times and the loud wine you hear is them. The canal he rotates around in has a strong current. I've been on this boat a few times and in its engine room. View attachment 718117View attachment 718118

I'm surprised that the badger has no thrusters... The Ranger III is the Isle boat that resides here in Houghton. In this video you can see its thrusters being used multiple times and the loud wine you hear is them. The canal he rotates around in has a strong current. I've been on this boat a few times and in its engine room. View attachment 718117View attachment 718118
Does the ranger have twin props? Or twin wheels for the mariner types. Handling boats and manuvering in close quarters can be tricky sometimes fighting current and wind, buts so much easier with twins . You always have to be thinking ahead and run the boat slow enough to maintain steerage in my limited experience.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #604  
Does the ranger have twin props? Or twin wheels for the mariner types. Handling boats and manuvering in close quarters can be tricky sometimes fighting current and wind, buts so much easier with twins . You always have to be thinking ahead and run the boat slow enough to maintain steerage in my limited experience.
Wheels is a term for the propeller on workboats mainly.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #605  
I kind of get how triple and quadruple expansion steam engines work each cylinder is inline as steam pressure decreases cylinders and pistons get larger? So the first cylinder the steam gets to is the smallest getting larger on subsequent cylinders as steam pressure decreases? But on the badgers engines the connecting rod attached to the high pressure smaller piston on the top is connected to the lower pressure larger piston on bottom which in turn is connected to the crankshaft? Whoa 🤯
Looking the cross-section image of the engine, it looks to me like the steam enters on the bottom of the top small piston, and after it reaches the top of the stroke, a poppet valve admits it to the top of the large bottom cylinder. As that bottom piston goes down near the bottom of it's stroke, it uncovers ports in the cylinder wall that lets the steam exit the cylinder. So it's just a double expansion engine, but a very cleverly designed one at that.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #606  
Not a video but interesting.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #607  
New ship neat article
Launch ceremony held for new Great Lakes carrier ship in Sturgeon Bay
by Charlee Rubesky, FOX 11 News
Thursday, October 28th 2021
56c6760c-2931-48cb-bd2b-70b824103b9a-large16x9_pic.jpg

/ Great lake boats, a good video #608  
New ship neat article

New ship neat article

/ Great lake boats, a good video

More news on the M Barker​

Launch of First U.S. Built Great Lakes Bulker Since 1983​

First U.S. built Great Lakes bulker in 40 years launched

Interlake's new Great Lakes bulker was christened and floated at Fincantieri (Interlake)
Published Oct 29, 2021 6:12 PM by The Maritime Executive

Construction is proceeding on the first U.S.-flagged Great Lakes freighter to be built on the Great Lakes in nearly 40 years. Being built for The Interlake Steamship Company at the Fincantieri Bay Shipbuilding facility in Wisconsin, the completed hull of the Mark W. Baker was christened and floated from the drydock on October 28.
Yesterday’s ceremonies marked the next major milestone for the 28,000 dwt vessel which is expected to enter service in the spring of 2022. Jointly designed by Fincantieri, Interlake, and Bay Engineering, the order for the bulk carrier was placed in April 2019. The engineering and pre-fabrication work for its modular sections began in the fall of 2019 and the first keel block was laid in June 2020. At the end of last year, the hull which was then approximately 70 percent structurally complete was moved from the drydock to make space for work on other vessels undergoing winter overhauls.

Interlake-christening-2.jpg

During the ceremony, Helen Sharp the wife of Ian Sharp, Interlake’s Director of Fleet Projects, who spearheaded the design of the new build, was given the honor of acting as sponsor. She christened the ship with a ceremonial bottle of champagne against the bow of the ship just above the vessel’s nameplate. Tugs in the shipyard blew congratulatory salutes, and then shipyard workers opened the valves in the dry dock to let water flow in. The process of floating the ship took about six hours.
“Today is truly gratifying for our company to commemorate the first time the completed hull of our new ship has touched water,” said Mark W. Barker, President of The Interlake Steamship Company and namesake of the new vessel, which is the first new ship constructed for the maritime company since 1981.
The new River-class, self-unloading bulk carrier is believed to be the first ship for U.S. Great Lakes service built on the Great Lakes since 1983. Measuring 639 feet in length, the ship will transport raw materials such as salt, iron ore, and stone to support manufacturing throughout the Great Lakes region. The bulk carrier will be equipped with advanced vessel and unloading systems automation.

Interlake-christening-3.jpg

Interlake-christening-4.jpg

Interlake-christening-5.jpg

Interlake-christening-6.jpg

(Photos courtesy of The Interlake Steamship Company)

MORE TOP STORIES

EDITORIALS TOP STORIES

/ Great lake boats, a good video
News to me, Duluth with begin excepting container ships. Al least small ones. :giggle: