Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video #901  
It was kind of eerie at night north of Ludington when your depth sounder starts blinking cause mine was out of range at anything over 100 fathoms.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #902  
I wonder if the horn on the Barker is a Kahlannberg horn?
I have one mounted to the front of my shop as a doorbell and that sucker is loud and takes a huge amount of compressed air to blow it too. Have a triple chime, lanyard operated.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #903  
Went to the Art Institute of Chicago today. On the way home, stopped in traffic on I94, looked to my left at the International Port of Illinois, and noticed a ship sitting there rotting away. Zoom in for picture. Also did a quick search and found the following video with info about it. Enjoy.

View attachment 742136

I see they pump it so it don't scuttle itself.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #904  
I have one mounted to the front of my shop as a doorbell and that sucker is loud and takes a huge amount of compressed air to blow it too. Have a triple chime, lanyard operated.
I believe those are made in wi
The diesel engines they used to make were popular in fish tugs, I believe they still make the horns in two rivers WI.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #905  
They do. I have their current catalog. None of it is cheap but then quality never comes cheap. Lets just say, when I pull the lanyard, the whole township hears it. Takes a lot of 'wind' to blow them. Every bit of my 30 CFM at 150 psi if I hold the lanyard down. I feed them with 1.5" diameter copper pipe. Hungry little buggers too.

They'd sound better on steam I'm sure bit I don't have that.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #907  
They also have a nice website if you look it up.
I have 👍. If you like older diesels there is a interesting museum in Manitowoc you can even tour a old WW2 sub there. If I remember correctly they have several Kahlannberg engines and a fishtug on display. They used to build ships and boats in Manitowoc/two rivers area. I also believe they still build Manitowoc cranes there.

/ Great lake boats, a good video
1650921296175.png

Recent photo of the St. Clair being scrapped at Port Colbone, ON. Wayne Elliott