Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video
from boatnerd.
------------------------------------------------------

Boatnerd News – April 30

Kaye E. Barker wiggles free from sandbar; Wilfred Sykes goes to anchor Muskegon, MI – The Kaye E. Barker, which grounded on a sandbar around 8:30 p.m. Thursday, April 28, as it was approaching the Muskegon channel, freed herself on Friday around 5:30 p.m. after lightering some cargo into a barge. The Barker went to anchor outside the harbor. She is loaded with about 25,000 tons of stone from Port Inland, MI. “It is no longer aground. However, there is some concern about whether it’s light enough to make port,” said Lt. Phillip Gurtler, public affairs officer for the Coast…

/ Great lake boats, a good video #912  
Goes to show you how a self-unloading ship can come in handy.

Also shows you how critical loads, lake levels, channel location and maintenance of depth all intertwine on the Great Lakes.

Man, the Sykes is a good looking boat. (y)

/ Great lake boats, a good video #913  
IMHO it's hard to beat the lines of a traditional looking lake freighter self unloader or not.

Here is a nice video of the Mesabi miner heading out of Duluth in what looks like 10 or more foot surf.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #915  
Here is a nice video of the Mesabi miner heading out of Duluth in what looks like 10 or more foot surf.
Scroll to about 5:45. They aren't 10' waves. I think the wind pushing the water upstream into the channel gives the illusion that they are taller. If there were 10' waves, they'd be crashing over the base of the lighthouse. There's a person way out there to the right of the lighthouse taking picture. You can see them from 6:30.

CCI has been shipping across the lakes for as long. My father-in-law retired from them and our neighbor was contacted to write their 125 anniversary history book which we own. They have indeed been around the block a few times.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. celebrates 175 years milestone​

The company to ring the NYSE stock market closing bell Tuesday, May 3​

Cleveland Cliffs

Cleveland Cliffs(WLUC)

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WLUC) - Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. (NYSE: CLF) will ring The Closing Bell at the New York Stock Exchange Tuesday, May 3, 2022.
Lourenco Goncalves, Cleveland-Cliffs’ Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, members of the company’s board of directors and executive management team will participate in the event to celebrate the company’s 175th year anniversary.
Lourenco Goncalves said, “For nearly two centuries, Cleveland-Cliffs has been instrumental in building modern society in the United States through the domestic steel industry. Companies with this type of longevity are incredibly rare. Cleveland-Cliffs has achieved this through its resilience, innovation and constant reinvention which has kept the company relevant and adaptive to an ever-changing world for generations.”
Goncalves continued, “Today, we are commemorating and celebrating the achievements, ingenuity and hard work of our past and present employees. From our humble beginnings as an iron ore mining company to a new era for Cleveland-Cliffs as a major vertically integrated steel company, I am proud to lead the only producer of steel in North America that has full control of its ferrous supply chain as well as the largest supplier of specialized steel to the automotive companies in North America. This sets us apart competitively from other domestic steel companies. Built on this strong foundation, Cleveland-Cliffs is well-positioned to supply innovative steels for electric vehicles, renewable energy and the rebuilding of American manufacturing for many more decades ahead.”
Headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio and operating in the Great Lakes region since 1847, Cliffs went public on the New York Stock Exchange in 1960. The New York Stock Exchange will stream The Closing Bell ringing on its website: https://www.nyse.com/bell. The bell ringing is scheduled for 3:56 - 4:00 p.m. ET.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #917  
I believe they also own/ operate the last remaining iron mine in Michigan. The open pit Tilden mine Marquette area.

Last edited:
   / Great lake boats, a good video #918  
My sister moved to Deerton in the early 90s, got a temp job in the IT department at Tilton-Cliffs and was hired on a couple of years later. She moved to Negaunee and took some IT courses and got her BS in Info Management. Got a nice raise and stayed there until a several years ago when they downsized the IT department. They outsourced her job which she was hired to do by the contractor, at better pay. She retired a couple of years ago and moved back to Deerton.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #919  
Any one know how many ships Cleveland Cliffs owns and operate on the Great Lakes?