Groan part quatre

/ Groan part quatre #2,993  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
I've owned a couple, and driven them quite a few miles, but I see it as only one issue...air cooled vs liquid cooled. I thought it being a rear engine car was a given. I hated having to adjust the valves every so often, and the heater wasn't worth a darn and the defroster was a joke. The do get you around in traffic great, and the mileage wasn't bad either. My first was the rust bug.

/ Groan part quatre #2,995  

Molalla1

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra, JD, MF, CAT
I've owned a couple, and driven them quite a few miles, but I see it as only one issue...air cooled vs liquid cooled. I thought it being a rear engine car was a given. I hated having to adjust the valves every so often, and the heater wasn't worth a darn and the defroster was a joke. The do get you around in traffic great, and the mileage wasn't bad either. My first was the rust bug.
Yep, they had terrible heaters, but they weren't bad in the snow.

/ Groan part quatre #2,996  

RoyJackson

Epic Contributor
Tractor
John Deere 4052R Cab,, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements
Yep, they had terrible heaters, but they weren't bad in the snow.
Yeah, but you could install a gasoline heater in the VeeDubs and Porsches back then. Not sure about in the US, but I think gasoline heaters were pretty common in the northern European countries

/ Groan part quatre #2,997  

LouNY

Tractor
Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility (traded in on Branson)
I had the gasoline heater in my VW Thing it sure needed it.

/ Groan part quatre #2,998  

alexpops

Gold Member
Tractor
LS XR4150, CAT 303.5CR, Kubota ZD331
My heat exchanger rusted through, so exhaust fumes poured in through the floor heater vent on the driver's side while I was driving from Cleveland to Ft Lauderdale as a kid. Almost died from CO poisoning. Remember thinking at the time that Hitler must have approved the design for the export market only. Wound up having to finish the trip with windows wide open & welded the heater vents shut once I got to Florida. Fun times.

On the plus side ... tune-ups were super easy, & setting the distributer only required a test light.

Last edited:
   / Groan part quatre #2,999  

rontaki

Silver Member
Tractor
none
I've had a number of air-cooled bugs and busses. The problem I had with the cooling system in them was that they would leak like crazy.
Every morning I'd come out to drive it, and there would be a massive puddle of coolant under the car! Couldn't fix no matter how much I tried.

/ Groan part quatre #3,000  

LouNY

Tractor
Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility (traded in on Branson)
Well if you would quit peeing in the back seat it wouldn't leak through.