Ground clearance and other weak points

/ Ground clearance and other weak points #1  

boostmg

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3620 TLB Hydro
Hey guys so I致e been rapidly taking in lots of information and making some decision from the help I致e gotten.

My property is slightly rocky, i will mow fields, pick up trees, dig trenches, dig up rocks and who knows what else.

I think I致e decided some 35ish HP machine will be adequate and having a backhoe is a must. Dealers closest to me are Mahindra and TYM.

I was dead set actually on the TYM 394 or 354. However i learned the backhoe uses the mount that chops off 4-5 inches of ground clearance. The Mahindra dealer enlightened me and said theirs uses a 4 point mount which saves the ground clearance (i didn稚 know this existed).

So I知 wondering how big of a deal is ground clearance? IMO with my property, we plan on clearing rocky paths, however bottoming out would suck real bad so the higher ground clearance the better and the Mahindra 2638 is winning in that category.

Everything else tho, the price, lifting and digging capacity, the maintenance ease, and price the TYM wins for me.

It痴 sucks because i actually would want the clearance all the times i have the backhoe attached going over my rocky areas.

Does anyone have any bad stories about ground clearance or ever wish they had more?

The Mahindra also has higher ground clearance in general without the hoe

/ Ground clearance and other weak points #2  
It would be educational for you to lie on the ground and look at what is under the tractors.

All kinds of important stuff is there. Hydraulic lines, filters, HST solenoid, etc.

Subcompact tractors have 7" to 9" ground clearance.

Compact Utility Tractors have 12" to 15" ground clearance, depending on wheel size.

As increasing ground clearance also increases tractor instability, tractor with 15" of ground clearance usually are heavier and wider than tractors with 12" ground clearance. R1/ag tires may increase ground clearance a tad, relative to R4/industrial tires.

If in doubt have you dealer armor the underside of your tractor with heavy gauge expanded steel.

My L3560 has improvised nine gauge expanded steel under armor. Installation was simple. Removal for service is simple.

Under armor is most often applied to tractors that work in heavy brush.

I buy heavy gauge expanded steel via eBay.

Attachments

• DSC00376.jpg
    DSC00376.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 199
Last edited:
   / Ground clearance and other weak points #3  
I was dead set on the TYM 394 or 354. However i learned the backhoe uses the mount that chops off 4-5 inches of ground clearance. The Mahindra dealer enlightened me saying Mahindra uses a 4 point mount which saves the ground clearance (i didn稚 know this existed).

I would research this thoroughly.

TYM makes TYM tractors, Branson tractors which TYM owns, RK tractors and badges/paints TYM compact tractors for Mahindra. (Heavier Mahindra tractors are made by Mahindra.) RK and Mahindra are independent TYM customers.

It would surprise me if TYM-for-Mahindra backhoe mounts differed from the others. But......could be.

Sometimes relatively low volume backhoes are produced by a third party, which may complicate parts supply.

Posts on T-B-N report TYM tractors from TYM dealers are cheaper than TYM-for-Mahindra tractors.
I have not shopped TYM nor Mahindra.

I would have moderate concern about TYM/Mahindra relationship on warranty repairs. No clear responsibility for who is obligated to pay who but certain the Mahindra dealer is last in line for reimbursement.

Research prospective dealers service reputations before making a tractor purchase.

Eschew apostrophes.

Last edited:
   / Ground clearance and other weak points #4  
Bransons are totally different from TYMs, with the exception of one 19hp sub compact which is shared between the TYM and Branson line and has a Yanmar engine.
Some TYM models use Kukje engines. Kukje is Branson's parent company that TYM bought a few years ago.

Some Mahindra models' chassies are made by TYM but to Mahindra specs and with Mahindra engines.

I had my Branson set up with slightly shorter wheels and tires to lower the center of gravity for better stability on my steep terrain. It's not been a problem, but I try to be aware of what I'm driving over rather than blindly smashing into stuff.

/ Ground clearance and other weak points #5  
Thank you boostmg for introducing this topic. Ground clearance is a particular soft-spot with me.
My compact Ford (picture pending) has hydrostatic drive. But the filter for that system, and the 5 gallons of fluid it contains, that filter hangs down off the bottom of the tractor. It snagged the ground and snapped off, within a few days of me getting the tractor. Replacing it was a headache that's cost me $Thousands.

Not in the least clear to me why in the 3rd Millennium tractor engineers are designing into their work, these conspicuous Achilles Heels. But apparently they still do.

If I can find a tractor that doesn't have that, I'm quite likely to buy it. Problem is New Holland is the nearest & best dealer (family owned, superbly run), but they still cram the filter down there.

Nope.
Not sure why.

Thanks again boostmg.

Enjoy the Summer.

/ Ground clearance and other weak points #6  
If ground clearance is that big of a deal for you, perhaps a CUT isn稚 the best tool for the job at hand, in your particular operating environment.

The CUT is, by its name, a Utility tractor. It has greater ground clearance than, say a garden tractor, but the underbelly is quite fragile compared to a skid steer, loader, or a dedicated logging skidded or forwarder, all of which are designed for more severe terrain.

I like to think of a CUT as somewhat akin to a Swiss Army knife. It does a lot of things, but isn稚 great for any particular application.

/ Ground clearance and other weak points
If ground clearance is that big of a deal for you, perhaps a CUT isn稚 the best tool for the job at hand, in your particular operating environment.

The CUT is, by its name, a Utility tractor. It has greater ground clearance than, say a garden tractor, but the underbelly is quite fragile compared to a skid steer, loader, or a dedicated logging skidded or forwarder, all of which are designed for more severe terrain.

I like to think of a CUT as somewhat akin to a Swiss Army knife. It does a lot of things, but isn稚 great for any particular application.

Yep for sure. I keep saying machines are like shoes, each one has its specific purpose.

I think a CUT will work well for what i need. I?ll be careful with where i go, plus I?ll be working on improving my rocky logging roads and making new ones.

So yes the tractor is like the Swiss Army knife and i think the CUT i get will do all the things i need it to. I?ll only learn what it can?t do once i get and use it for a while!

/ Ground clearance and other weak points #8  
Each blade in your Swiss Army Knife compact tractor is a tractor implement or attachment.

/ Ground clearance and other weak points #9  
The only time I have run into wishing I had more was in deep mud. I am sure a larger tractor would have had the same issues. From you description of uses I would strong;y encourage a look a larger tractor. I started with a 18 hp then went to a 33 hp with backhoe, then a 42 hp, and now a 70 hp tractor. Each step was very noticeable and definitely made a difference. I am in the process of going from the 42 to 70 hp tractor now. I am looking to get cab and gain on the loader.

The change from the 33 to 42 hp started with a 35 hp tractor (we were looking at going from a Challenger to Kubota). Then in looking at the front loader the 42 hp was able to handle the larger loader used by the machines up to 57 hp. It has been a very good tractor. I just find myself maxing out the front end more often than not when hauling wood for the furnace and sap for sugaring. I looked around and settled into the 60 hp range for load specs and then moved to a 70 hp because of the features.

Good luck and seriously take a look at the 40-45 hp tractors you'll be happier.

Mike

/ Ground clearance and other weak points #10  
You could probably drag the backhoe subframe over a rock or two and not really hurt it. If you're banging rocks and getting high sided like a rock crawling Jeep, you're probably gonna be flipping it on its side pretty soon anyways.