Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #1  

Bobctat2035

Bronze Member
Tractor
Bobcat 2035
Looking for some ideas to help with erosion in my wooded areas. I made some trails last winter but they're always muddy and are eroding really fast. Anything I can throw down that will sort of grow under trees? The shorter the better but I'm open to any ideas.

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #3  
periwinkle is a good ground cover that grows in the shade. It will not grow up trees and if it gets out of control it responds to RoundUp.

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #4  
You don’t want Kudzu, that’s an invasive species. Poison ivy on the other hand….. wish I could help more, there are some grasses that will grow in the shade.

Last edited:
   / Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #6  
I'm using poison ivy and brambles. Easy to maintain.
:LOL:

I was thinking along the lines of if it isn't growing there now, there probably isn't much that could be planted that you would want around...

All the best,

Peter

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #7  
Just seed and reseed with deep/heavy shade grass seed

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #8  
I've always liked periwinkle, however, it's considered an invasive species in many places now. It does well in shaded areas around houses and in landscaping, but should be kept out of natural areas, as it can take over quickly and force out natural species. Here's some info on it and some alternatives to try.

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas
Whoa. All of those look like they would take everything over. I eradicate vines and take pleasure in it. Especially the thorny variety.
You guys intentionally seed poison ivy? :unsure: Did I mention it was for trails? lol

/ Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas #10  
The beauty of poison ivy is that it's free and willing to do the job with zero maintenance. :p