Ground cover in wooded / shaded areas

deezler

Veteran Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7305, Kioti CK3510seh TLB
I mowed some forest trails the other day that were a full carpet of poison ivy. Gotta hit em again here shortly to make sure it's killed back.

There's grass seed blends made for shade. It works ok.

CalG

Elite Member
Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
Looking for some ideas to help with erosion in my wooded areas. I made some trails last winter but they're always muddy and are eroding really fast. Anything I can throw down that will sort of grow under trees? The shorter the better but I'm open to any ideas.
vinca grows well here. I've got a couple of forest hillsides covered in it. Ferns seem to grow up in it, but ferns might be an option too.

Want me to send you a truck load ;-)

MossRoad

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
vinca grows well here. I've got a couple of forest hillsides covered in it. Ferns seem to grow up in it, but ferns might be an option too.

Want me to send you a truck load ;-)
Vinca is the same thing as Periwinkle.

We have ferns growing out of Periwinkle. Ferns are very good at taking things over, so be careful what you wish for. We had maybe 3-4 about 5 years ago. Now we tear out several dozen each year from the same space. Yikes. And the migrate underground very fast, too.

OP
B

Bobctat2035

Tractor
Bobcat 2035
The beauty of poison ivy is that it's free and willing to do the job with zero maintenance. :p
I got a good dose of poison ivy last year and it was anything but beautiful. lol

Anyone ever tried Subterranean Clover?

CalG

Elite Member
Tractor
Vinca is the same thing as Periwinkle.

We have ferns growing out of Periwinkle. Ferns are very good at taking things over, so be careful what you wish for. We had maybe 3-4 about 5 years ago. Now we tear out several dozen each year from the same space. Yikes. And the migrate underground very fast, too.
I positively dislike ferns. A great wasteland of monoculture. I pull it constantly, but,,, i'm only one guy with other priorities.

ponytug

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
I got a good dose of poison ivy last year and it was anything but beautiful. lol

Anyone ever tried Subterranean Clover?

That is generally a crop for warm, sunny areas.

You could try crown vetch, but unless there is reasonable sun, it is going to have a hard time. Worst case you are out a few dollars for seed.

Honestly, if you don't have much growing there now, it is going to be tough, without getting into things that you probably don't want like aggressive weeds such as poison oak, or kudzu.

All the best,

Peter

CalG

Elite Member
Tractor
"In the wake of great armies

Thorns spring up."

There is a lot of reality in the above quotation.

MossRoad

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
The ferns ate my gas meter. These are less than 4 weeks from emergence and already 3' tall.

BD942266-FDAA-4FAD-8CEC-2E5899C26724.jpeg