Gucci loafers no, boots yes

/ Gucci loafers no, boots yes #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
My title simply means that if you wear boots instead of soft loafers, and you don't have a nice Grand L Kubota (other brands no doubt also have this feature...) with its custom rubber deck mats, you will wear thru the deck paint and wind up with bare metal, worn paint, and more patina of use than you may want. Having seen other threads about using truck bed liner paint to cover and protect, I got some. I repainted the worn, bare spots on the metal cover in the center, which inevitably gets stepped on, at least on an L 3400. I will report back in the spring on how well, or not, the bed liner holds up. I used about 2/3rds can of the stuff the Napa guys recommended. Power washed, sanded, and wiped with acetone before painting. Masking took longer than any other part. I will probably put some bed liner stripes where the center cover gets stepped on when I figure the orange paint is suitably dry.

Attachments

• P1010864.JPG
    P1010864.JPG
    645.7 KB · Views: 271
  • P1010866.jpg
    P1010866.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 385
  • P1010865.jpg
    P1010865.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 405
  • P1010867.jpg
    P1010867.jpg
    399.1 KB · Views: 262
   / Gucci loafers no, boots yes
Not a hot topic, I see, but since I finished this project, I will post one more photo showing the end result. Too bad I didn't take a "before" photo.

Attachments

• P1010881.jpg
    P1010881.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 294
   / Gucci loafers no, boots yes #3  
Thanks thinking of doing that on my Massey. It has a mat and collects things under it and does not cover all the places it needs to. Ed

/ Gucci loafers no, boots yes #6  
I'll be watching for your reply next spring. If it works, I'll be doing the same thing to mine. Really nice job!

/ Gucci loafers no, boots yes
Yah, James, I think the center cover area wasn't really intended to step on, rather just over, but from my experience, and the worn-off paint areas from the previous owner, it quickly becomes a stepping surface when you are climbing in with muddy boots or snowy boots. There just isn't enough floor area to avoid it all the time.

/ Gucci loafers no, boots yes #9  
Yah, James, I think the center cover area wasn't really intended to step on, rather just over, but from my experience, and the worn-off paint areas from the previous owner, it quickly becomes a stepping surface when you are climbing in with muddy boots or snowy boots. There just isn't enough floor area to avoid it all the time.

That was my assessment too. I noticed the bare metal showing thru on the center cover not too long after getting the tractor, so I decided to do the coating thing.