Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,782  
I've had the 12 ton A-frame press for years. No complaint, except sometimes it isn't enough.

Bruce

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,783  
I have a "Tool Shed" brand engine 6.5 HP on my tiller. Same engine as the Predator, different paint job and name. It has been flawless. I am not sure it has ever taken more than 2 pulls to start.

It was on sale at Rural King for $89.95 a number of years ago.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,784  
The four AAA LED 'Tactical' flashlight is on closeout for $9 using the emailed coupon. These are excellent, recommended, and don't cost more than buying the same thing on Ebay then waiting a month for China shipping.
63934_W5.jpg

And - yesterday I was looking for something I dropped in the weeds and used the wand metal detector I bought a long time ago. (Same as an airport TSA wand). I see they are more expensive now but I recommend this. For shop use I would first get the bar magnet that looks like a push broom with wheels, then this.
image_6887.jpg

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,785  
Anyone have the 12T hydraulic press? Reviews?

Press went together OK. Couple of small glitches and may need to shim it some. Picture on the user guide shows some 45 degree cross braces at the bottom, but they weren't included and the base plate isn't drilled for them. I may try to add something later as it seems to twist some under pressure. Did the trick though. Only a few minutes between the pictures. Not really what the tool was made for, but it worked for me.

View attachment 623628

Yeah, I know the pictures are from different angles, but it was bent both ways.
Used it for a few things since. Do NOT let it free stand. The footprint is too narrow to support it. Mount it to the floor, make a wider base, or brace it from the top or sides.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,786  
I have the 20T and modded it by replacing the included jack with air over hydraulic jack. So much more easier and less effort to use. Very happy with it for the occasional use it gets.

For the additional $80 for the 20T you get a far more capable unit.

Edit: And the 20T weighs about twice as much... a good thing.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,787  
And - yesterday I was looking for something I dropped in the weeds and used the wand metal detector I bought a long time ago. (Same as an airport TSA wand). I see they are more expensive now but I recommend this. For shop use I would first get the bar magnet that looks like a push broom with wheels, then this.
image_6887.jpg
As I age I find it less and less enjoyable to bend over to find a bolt or other steel part I dropped which invariably rolls under a table. So I've got about 4 or 5 of the magnetic tool holders scattered around the workshops (I've ~ 2,500 sq feet). Each with a strong piece of twine. So I can usually just grab one and swipe it under the table or cabinet and recover the offending item. The magnetic sweeper on wheels doesn't fit under a lot of things.
View attachment 736911

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,788  
I bought one of these from a company called Greg Smith (that's now ToolTopia). The ram slides side to side making much easier to line up and will work on odd shaped projects better. It can be pumped by hand or by air. It's actually cheaper than the 20 ton HF bottle jack version. For a few extra bucks you get almost twice the power and more flexibility.

DYOHT0805_media-01.jpg

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,789  
I bought one of these from a company called Greg Smith (that's now ToolTopia). The ram slides side to side making much easier to line up and will work on odd shaped projects better. It can be pumped by hand or by air. It's actually cheaper than the 20 ton HF bottle jack version. For a few extra bucks you get almost twice the power and more flexibility.

DYOHT0805_media-01.jpg
Nice it has a gauge and a Air hydro jack.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,790  
Anyone have the Bauer 4x24 belt sander? I was thinking of getting a Makita but I do have a Bauer jigsaw that has worked just fine.

I picked one up this weekend after returning the Central Machinery one. It blows the doors off the CM unit as far as user friendliness and overall operability. Belts are a snap to change if you do sharpening whereas the CM unit makes you take half the machine apart, the Bauer it just slips off the side nothing to undo just flip the belt tightener to loose.

Used it for a bout an hour this weekend on various woods and metals. Very happy with it so far.