Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,951  
I would get the cable winch, then replace the cable with this synthetic rope made for a small electric winch. Keep it covered.

3/16 diameter, 3000 lbs working load limit.

Bruce
I've ran synthetic rope before it is very, nice lightweight, no meat hooks, but imo is not as abrasion resistant, or durable as wire. Ever have had it jump and jam in a sheave? it probably will ruin it.

Last edited:
   / Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,953  
Well I decided the Makita 9404 was what I really wanted. One of the things that changed my mind was the flat top.
It will be easier to fasten my Father's diving belt weights on top like I did in 1986.
Also it's variable speed (compared to the 9403). For some reason Amazon had it for $250, most other places wanted about $300. Now to test it out.
I have several Makita tools. The cordless ones I've moved to Milwaukee after having problems with battery life but their corded stuff has lasted decades without any issues. I've looked at their sander but each time I just can't justify spending that much on a tool I rarely use. As it is I have 10 sanders (several large stationary ones down to small ROS palm sanders). The belt sander has it's place but like most sanders it doesn't do well outside it's comfort zone. That's what lead me to think about taking a risk on the Bauer. Still undecided though. I don't know if I need variable speed. I see HF has a 25% off one item coupon. Not sure if that includes Bauer stuff or if it can be used on-line but that would be enough to tempt me to try it.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,954  
My problem with any of the hand crank winches (that I have tried) is that you can ONLY winch IN. There is no provision for controlled release of the cable to winch out.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,955  
I have several Makita tools. The cordless ones I've moved to Milwaukee after having problems with battery life but their corded stuff has lasted decades without any issues. I've looked at their sander but each time I just can't justify spending that much on a tool I rarely use. As it is I have 10 sanders (several large stationary ones down to small ROS palm sanders). The belt sander has it's place but like most sanders it doesn't do well outside it's comfort zone. That's what lead me to think about taking a risk on the Bauer. Still undecided though. I don't know if I need variable speed. I see HF has a 25% off one item coupon. Not sure if that includes Bauer stuff or if it can be used on-line but that would be enough to tempt me to try it.
I bought a Bauer Rotary Hammer and a Jig Saw. Both have been exceptional tools.

I usually lean toward DeWalt but feel that they are resting on their laurels a bit as far as price and quality. I recenly bought a 6 pc set of 20v DeWalt to replace the same 18v set. The tools were pretty much identical, including specs, except with the new battery mount. They had less accessories included though. Thinking now that I should have stuck with the adapter with the new Lithium batteries.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,956  
I bought a Bauer Rotary Hammer and a Jig Saw. Both have been exceptional tools.

I usually lean toward DeWalt but feel that they are resting on their laurels a bit as far as price and quality. I recenly bought a 6 pc set of 20v DeWalt to replace the same 18v set. The tools were pretty much identical, including specs, except with the new battery mount. They had less accessories included though. Thinking now that I should have stuck with the adapter with the new Lithium batteries.
Those 20v Max *are* 18v. I feel like it was just a money grab to switch batteries.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,957  
My problem with any of the hand crank winches (that I have tried) is that you can ONLY winch IN. There is no provision for controlled release of the cable to winch out.
That's why I never use them for lifting only pulling.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,958  
Those 20v Max *are* 18v. I feel like it was just a money grab to switch batteries.
The lithium batteries are better but the tools are basically the same.

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,959  
It would be handy to have a winch that would push things, not just pull them.

:)

Bruce

/ Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck #14,960  
In case you missed it. Not many of these offered any more.
1653788007728.png