Hardy Winter veg

/ Hardy Winter veg #1  

Jesse11

Bronze Member
I've just about harvested everything I grew in my Lidl Green house and from the garden so I was wondering, rather than leaving it idle over the winter is there any veg that grows straight through the winter and can be harvested in spring?

I ramped up my growing quite a bit this year and got lots of fresh veg and salad right through till now.
I had Jalapenio, harbenero, cayene and sweet chillies, onions, peas, beans, carrots, tomatos, lettuce, potatos and a range of herbs.
I've brough the herb box into the house at this stage to keep whats left alive and away from the cold.

But I was just wondering if anyone was growing through the winter and if so what good to plant?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

/ Hardy Winter veg #2  
i have quite a lot growing in my hoophouses and high tunnel through the winter. enough to sell at the farmers market every week.
lettuce, spinach, chard, beets, mizuna, arugula, carrots, turnips, sprouting broccoli, bunching onions, peas.
this stuff was planted months ago though. things grow very slowly this time of year. i am planning more planting of asian greens, more spinach, more chard, etc.
when the temp is forecast to go below 20 i put row covers over the growing beds.
my herbs outside are still usable especially the tyme.

/ Hardy Winter veg #3  
I seem to recall planting quite a few Walla Walla sweet onions specifically to overwinter because it makes them even sweeter.

I lived in Portland OR area back then and I recall the green onion tops sticking up in an inch or so of snow...

Good on you if you are STILL getting enough to sell at the farmers market!

I need to look into Hoop houses...
David

/ Hardy Winter veg #4  
I grow my elephant garlic during the winter months. Plant in Sept.- Oct.- or Nov. and harvest in June.

Attachments

• garlic 5-2-07.jpg
    garlic 5-2-07.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 119
  • garlic elephant size 7-1-08.jpg
    garlic elephant size 7-1-08.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 114
   / Hardy Winter veg #5  
Lidl... Hmm... Are you in the UK by any chance ?

/ Hardy Winter veg #6  
Garlic and shallots are in mine over the winter too.

/ Hardy Winter veg #7  
Jesse11, I think it really depends on your location and how cold it gets.

Here in Virginia, I plant collards and cabbage in September and start eating them in early November. They generally run through mid-December if uncovered, wilt back from extreme cold in mid-December through mid-Feburary, and then come back strong for March-April.

If covered, they will go straight through the whole winter, and keep you eating November-April. From 20-24 plants, I can make a big pot of greens once a week. Just made some tonight in fact :).

/ Hardy Winter veg #8  
planted some mustard greens, turnips,radishes in my little homemade unheated greenhouse. also tried cabbage and rapini which didn't take. the others are very small but i didn't start them inside. i cover them at night. also garlic is sprouting inside the greenhouse but not in the outside raised beds. my "crop" is certainly not big enough for the market. i probably have enough for one salad:licking:
steve
massachusetts