Has anyone tried a chain drag harrow to level out tracks in snow?

/ Has anyone tried a chain drag harrow to level out tracks in snow? #1  

Z-Michigan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK5010HS
OK, not snow removal in the pure sense, but has anyone ever tried using a chain drag harrow to level out the snow after use? This is the implement I'm talking about, usually used for pastures or gravel drives:

ATV 4 ft. x 4 ft. Chain Harrow with 4 ft. Drawbar at Tractor Supply Co.

I owned an 8x8 one of these in the past so I am generally familiar with them, but I never tried it in winter and don't own it now.

My interest is in leveling out tracks made by snowmobiles and/or snowshoeing on my own property, so it's easy to ride or hike on again. With repeated snowmobile use, moguls form just like the stutter bumps on a dirt road. On public trails these are removed with big grading-style rigs (trail groomers). I don't need to pack down the snow or make it ice rink flat, I would just like a way to get it basically level for re-use. I have a utility snowmobile with a hitch, so yes I could pull one without getting stuck.

Anyone?

/ Has anyone tried a chain drag harrow to level out tracks in snow? #2  
my thoughts on this is the chain link won't really move snow because it's not a rigid frame, and will just fluff up the existing contour of the trail.
there are some wooden homebuilt trail drags i see online that might be easier and cheaper for you for limited use...
Low Tech Snowmobile Snow Drag - YouTube

/ Has anyone tried a chain drag harrow to level out tracks in snow?
Thanks, that looks very effective for very little money. I've actually been planning to make something like that since last winter, but didn't get to it yet - AND I have a summer-time use for the chain drag harrow. I may need both, just wondering what the chain drag would do on snow.

/ Has anyone tried a chain drag harrow to level out tracks in snow? #4  
I wouldn’t invest too much on this experiment. Seems the weight of the tractor will cause big ruts that something lighter dragging behind the tractor won’t remove....

But I hope I’m wrong. It would be a neat fix. Maybe a snow mobile could drag something. Obviously they won’t leave the ruts like a tractor.

/ Has anyone tried a chain drag harrow to level out tracks in snow? #5  
Most snowmobiles will overheat if operated at lower speeds and towing something, makes it worst. Work sleds like the skandic should be able to, but they are on the rare side and they can overheat as well. I've got lots and lots of experience at that! :(

/ Has anyone tried a chain drag harrow to level out tracks in snow?
I have a utility snowmobile with a hitch, so yes I could pull one without getting stuck.

I wouldn’t invest too much on this experiment. Seems the weight of the tractor will cause big ruts that something lighter dragging behind the tractor won’t remove....

But I hope I’m wrong. It would be a neat fix. Maybe a snow mobile could drag something. Obviously they won’t leave the ruts like a tractor.

Most snowmobiles will overheat if operated at lower speeds and towing something, makes it worst. Work sleds like the skandic should be able to, but they are on the rare side and they can overheat as well. I've got lots and lots of experience at that! :(

Appreciate the interest and replies so far but just to repeat, I have a utility snowmobile, this is not a tractor job nor some old 2-stroke MXZ. It's an Expedition, like the Skandic but with double A-arms, and it has an air radiator along with the standard tunnel cooler.

So, has anyone ever tried a chain harrow (drag) in snow?

/ Has anyone tried a chain drag harrow to level out tracks in snow? #7  
hi Michigan
your expedition will tow a drag fine. make sure your air rad fan is working cause the fan will run a lot! we've had them freeze up or pop the fuse from branches/twig pieces jamming it up. i'd try a pallet first, or an old bed spring. we use a piece of chain link fence gate early in the season to flatten out trails to make a base. once you have moguls the only way to get rid of them is to cut them down. filling the holes with loose snow will only beat back out. doing anything is better than nothing, but you gotta cut the bumps off to make difference. the big drags cut, leave the snow and pack back down. give your chain harrow a try and let us know how it works!
17BB29DB-7439-419C-AFB6-EBD5B116A960.jpeg

/ Has anyone tried a chain drag harrow to level out tracks in snow? #8  
I know this is an old thread. But i use an old lightweight skid to "groom" our trails for walking and sleds on our property. I pull it with my arctic cat 400 4x4 atv.