Has haggling died?

/ Has haggling died? #11  
Whenever I put something up for sale I put it at a reasonable price to move it, I'm usually wanting to sell something to replace it.

When I buy something I'm of the mindset I don't argue price too much as I know a dealer has to make a profit and I want them to be in business next year or 10 when I have to come back for parts or service. A guy I buy hay from told me I'm the only one who ever told him he was selling good hay too cheap, I told him you make good hay and because you can do it at a profit I don't have to do it as a necessity.

On a rare occasion I will buy something cheap, fix it and resell it, I typically pad my asking price just so I can come down. When buying used I typically don't go look at something that the asking price isn't something I would not want to spend.

/ Has haggling died? #12  
Haggling (more politically correct term: negotiating a mutually acceptable price) will never go away.

Maybe you don't have the skill set, or maybe the other guy doesn't.

But the bottom line is: don't pay more than what you think something is worth.

If the price is already below what you think it's worth, sure - give it a try, but if they say "Price is firm" and it's at or below what your assessment is, just pay it!

/ Has haggling died? #13  
I always try to better the price when I'm buying doesn't matter to much what it is.
Even in the big box stores it's possible, lower price, or something else thrown in.

/ Has haggling died? #14  
The art of haggling is about lost. I do quite a bit of business on FB marketplace. Quite often, 75% + of the time the very first message is "bottom dollar?". Depending on my mood, I usually respond with "what's your top dollar", other times I will type some sort of response like "I am already priced rather aggressive blah blah blah".

I had a JD 4700 Loader / Backhoe in really nice shape, I offered at $25k firm. The first person to message me stated "it's a 20 year old tractor, are you really firm, I'll give you 9"

/ Has haggling died? #15  
Currently have a tractor for sale at a very fair price. Has been on a lot for about 5 weeks. Sure would like to sell it and have flexed more than thought I would for one person who was sure he was buying it that day...yep he totally fell through. Used car salesperson. Have I considered lowering the sale price, yes but have not for know many people will look at a car or tractor more than once before they buy. I don't mind being offered a low ball price. I will counter with price higher than I have it for sale which shocks them.

/ Has haggling died? #16  
The last haggling conversation I had the guy wanted me to drop $50 for the sake of his gas and expenses to drive two hours to pick it up. I said if he drove two hours one way he must want it pretty bad, and how does that make it of any less value to me for selling it. I already have it priced to move it. Apparently you want it more than I need to sell it. He took it home at my price.

/ Has haggling died? #17  
I hate it. When I sell something I put a price on it that I think is fair. Sometimes a buyer will ask if it is firm on the phone. I say yes. If they come in person and look it over and want a break on it, I say I think it is worth my price. Most often they buy it, or the second looker does.

When buying I take the position that the seller thinks it is worth his or her price. I hope it is a quality item and I pay what they want for it.It is very rare that I have been disappointed in those purchases, but I have been burned a couple times over my lifetime. I try to be square and I don't have to look over my shoulder.

/ Has haggling died? #18  
Haggling is an art and one done out of respect.
A person who haggles needs to respect the seller, yet needs to know that they can walk away from the 'deal'.
The seller needs to know that the buyer is haggling out of respect.
Anything else is not a 'deal'.

/ Has haggling died? #19  
I still haggle, and people haggle with me over things Im selling.

The new trend I am seeing, and not liking....

IS people haggling over services a business offers. People call me for a quote on a job. Mowing, digging, removing a tree, installing utilities or drainage, etc.

I give them a quote.....usually thats it. I'll either get the job or they will go with someone else. But its surprising the number of people that will say...." Well can you do it for $xx.xx" Like IF I quote a job for $300....I get..."can you do it for two"?

Nope!. Call someone else if my price is too high...:confused2:

/ Has haggling died? #20  
I don't enjoy haggling when I sell something and I don't like lowball offers (I don't respond). I set what I think is a reasonable price and if no one buys it in a week or two, I lower the price by 5 or 10%. I keep doing this until it sells.

Thats pretty much what I do.

What I find fascinating is when I have something for sale and a potential buyer calls me and says “ I have to travel 5 hours to buy your tractor, so I need you to take $1,000 off the price “ :laughing:

Like Im supposed to compensate some clown for travel time and expense because he wants to shop for a tractor 5 hours from his home? :confused2:

I expect haggling, but comp for travel? :laughing: