Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance.

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #11  
Not knowing your area, I'm only going to guess that how it works in my area is similar to other areas of the country.

Here in Tyler, we have 5 glass companies that I know of. They specialize in mirrors, custom cut glass and shower doors more then anything else, but they also replace glass panels for homeowners. The company that I prefer has two guys that do this every day, all day. You call them, the come to your house and measure the window. The put in the order to the company that makes the window panels, which is in the Dallas area, about 100 miles away. In week, they get the panels and schedule an install date. It takes them about 15 minutes to replace the panel. Cost per panel installed is around $200 each.

This is for standard 2 pane panels with different tinting on the glass depending on what is already there. Your windows sounds more complex then what I've dealt with, but I would be surprised if a glass company can't get you what you want. It's all they do.

Before driving that far to transport glass back, I would take another look at the local companies that do this. Somebody local is replacing glass panels. There is just too much work out there for there not to be somebody making money off of it.

Most common issue with a window is the seal fails and air gets between the panels. The air holds moisture and the windows fog up. Replacing the panels with a new one solves this.

For me, the risk of damage would be significant. Putting the glass in a small trailer just increases that risk. If the glass itself doesn't break, how sure are you that the seal that keeps the gas inside the glass will remain intact?

$900 for shipping sounds like a lot of money to me, but if it includes a guarantee, then it might be worth it.

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #12  
I have visions of those small trailers bouncing around a lot, like on the pavement junctions of well traveled interstates. Maybe the weight you mentioned stabilizes yours enough. Does it have shocks in addition to leaf springs? Hydraulic damping seems better than internal friction. No matter what, thoughtful padding between the bed and the bottom glass edges would distribute any point contact load if things aren't flat, and add some damping.

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #13  
Get some of those 4x8 sheets of styrafoam exterior insulation. That's what I use to haul glass with. There's one type that is more flexible than others. Not sure of the manufacturer. But any of them will do.

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #14  
The manufacturer should have them packaged for shipping. And could offer details on how to move them. The A-frame support is how I see glass and marble slabs transported around here.

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #15  
I'm still thinking of a little trailer bouncing around with all these post. As Eddie mentioned, it's not the glass breaking that I'd be concerned about. I'd be more concerned about the seals.

I'll also agree that you may want to think twice about buying from a company that says they bought the business out without buying the liabilities?!?! If that was true, I have to believe lots of businesses would sell back and forth between some friends to clear their liabilities on a regular basis.

As for a special coating... If you are concerned that going with another company may mean the coating (look) of these replacements won't match ones you still have, then you should even have that for this company. Depending on the coating, it can be very difficult to get the exact coating to the human eye. Often it's easiest if they come from the same batch. You're not years apart and things change.

Good luck, you may want to consider a fresh option.

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance.
Mat4644,

We have 16 of these and 3 failed after 10 years.

/ Hauling Insulated glass panels a long distance. #17  
I just use duct tape and visqueen when I have a window that needs replacing.