Hauling logs off hillside, Kubota or Power Trac?

/ Hauling logs off hillside, Kubota or Power Trac? #1  

m5040

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6040 L2250, JohnDeere 310D, Ford 841 Elenco, Ford 961, Trapmaster, PT180 w/LM bucket and 45" brush cutter, PT1430 Deutz w/grapple bucket, Antonio Carraro Tigrecar 6500. John Deere 5300. Former owned Steiner 430 max, Goldoni REV Maxter 7
Had a large oak kill by the caterpillars on a hillside boxed in by a lot of other trees. Cut it down and needed a way to carry the larger the better pieces out. I have a Kubota L2850 with 2400 lbs lift at the 3pt and 1800 lbs 24" out from lift ends. So I figure the Kubota has better/even traction and technically more lift. So I put a 3pt adapter on, then fork lift forks. Slid them under a portion of the tree and after a big fight, tractor can barely lift it, front end coming up, steering with brakes etc. Well I tried the Power Trac, with only 1200 lbs lift. Had the front hoe attachment with a thumb, so now lifting 36" away from quick attach plate. What do you know, the PT lifted and carried the log out better then the Kubota even know the specs for the Kubota exceeded the PT. Guess they rate the PT very conservatively. Wish the drive system was a little more even, if I start out slow and easy the front wheels spins. If I start out aggressively, they all spin but very little, go figure. Guess it is the way the tram pump controls the flow.

Attachments

• big oak log 1.jpeg
    big oak log 1.jpeg
    377.6 KB · Views: 173
  • big oak log 2.jpeg
    big oak log 2.jpeg
    348.4 KB · Views: 184
   / Hauling logs off hillside, Kubota or Power Trac? #2  
drag them out. easy peezy

/ Hauling logs off hillside, Kubota or Power Trac?
I prefer to carry, easier on the turf and erosion control and it doesn't get dirt stuck in bark that screws up my chain saw blade.

/ Hauling logs off hillside, Kubota or Power Trac? #4  
Had a large oak kill by the caterpillars on a hillside boxed in by a lot of other trees. Cut it down and needed a way to carry the larger the better pieces out. I have a Kubota L2850 with 2400 lbs lift at the 3pt and 1800 lbs 24" out from lift ends. So I figure the Kubota has better/even traction and technically more lift. So I put a 3pt adapter on, then fork lift forks. Slid them under a portion of the tree and after a big fight, tractor can barely lift it, front end coming up, steering with brakes etc. Well I tried the Power Trac, with only 1200 lbs lift. Had the front hoe attachment with a thumb, so now lifting 36" away from quick attach plate. What do you know, the PT lifted and carried the log out better then the Kubota even know the specs for the Kubota exceeded the PT. Guess they rate the PT very conservatively. Wish the drive system was a little more even, if I start out slow and easy the front wheels spins. If I start out aggressively, they all spin but very little, go figure. Guess it is the way the tram pump controls the flow.

Nice that you had both machines to compare. :thumbsup:

Me too, maybe the pressure is low as it could only lift it about 1/2 way up, but just the same the front of the tractor was up in the air so it shows that the rear was real heavy. I was going to add weights but then it still had trouble lifting it, so why go through the trouble. At that point I figured to just try the PT, and as it has done many times, it impressed me.

/ Hauling logs off hillside, Kubota or Power Trac? #7  
Mine certainly comes in handy for carrying logs either in a mini hoe or grapple.

/ Hauling logs off hillside, Kubota or Power Trac? #8  
I prefer to carry, easier on the turf and erosion control and it doesn't get dirt stuck in bark that screws up my chain saw blade.

If your going to cut them do it where they are? a set of forks will pick them up easier and will pick a lot more weight than way out at the end of hoe attachment..... jim

If your going to cut them do it where they are? a set of forks will pick them up easier and will pick a lot more weight than way out at the end of hoe attachment..... jim

I thought the forks would work better too, but the L2850 would only get it about a foot off the ground and then there was the front end lift that was problematic, end up dragging the log anyway. All logic aside, even with 1/2 the rated capacity, the Power Trac lifted the log and climbed out of the work area.

It is difficult to cut on the hill because after the log is cut off it tends to roll down the hill and they end up all over the place. And even if it didn't roll away, I can't fit that many cutoffs in the bucket as I can carry in one long piece.

/ Hauling logs off hillside, Kubota or Power Trac? #10  
I thought the forks would work better too, but the L2850 would only get it about a foot off the ground and then there was the front end lift that was problematic, end up dragging the log anyway. All logic aside, even with 1/2 the rated capacity, the Power Trac lifted the log and climbed out of the work area.

It is difficult to cut on the hill because after the log is cut off it tends to roll down the hill and they end up all over the place. And even if it didn't roll away, I can't fit that many cutoffs in the bucket as I can carry in one long piece.

First I would go up hill and put the log on the forks and back down hill, Second, I was talking about the PT with forks..... jim