Hauling tractor for the first time, tell me what I'm doing wrong

/ Hauling tractor for the first time, tell me what I'm doing wrong #1  

vvanders

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4760
Moving our Ford up to the new property ~200 miles away. Drive is going to be a mix of interstate and Highway 101.

This is the first time hauling our tractor any serious distance, I *think* I've got it secured pretty well but would appreciate the wisdom of the internet on what I might be missing.

37416071981_aac55f46e8_b.jpg

36745356373_3cc568ea7d_b.jpg

Still have to crank on the binders a bit to really tighten things down before we hit the road(and securing the loose ends on the straps). One thing I'm learning is that binder placement is a bit of an art. Straps have a bit of a twist in them and other side is identical to the left.

I originally had the rear through the hubs on the wheels but wasn't really comfortable with it. I didn't have a clevis but found an opening in the draw bar so decided to go through there.

One thing I haven't quite figured out is how to keep the ratcheting binders from working loose under vibration. Is the general approach there just pin them to the deck in a way that they can't unwind?

/ Hauling tractor for the first time, tell me what I'm doing wrong #2  
Looks pretty good, I'd like a little more forward angle on the front binders but that's all. Ratchet binders don't vibrate loose, the machine will "settle in" after the initial couple miles. I usually flip the ratchet in the binders so that the handle falls to the deck and the only way to pick it up is to tighten the binder.

/ Hauling tractor for the first time, tell me what I'm doing wrong #3  
Same, more angle on the front binder to make them pull against each other. Can't tell from pictures but brakes locked and tractor in gear is a good thing also. A clevis could make life easier but I have always been suspect of how they would hold in a crash. On my pulling tractors I always chain front and back and then 1 in the middle where the drawbar connects to the frame pulling straight down. Could also do that on the loader or tractor frame

/ Hauling tractor for the first time, tell me what I'm doing wrong
Thanks, to get a bit more angle would you just go a little further back on the frame behind the loader bracket?

Good to know on the binders, most of mine are like that where they're pinned to the deck but one is free floating a bit so wanted to know if there was any other tricks to deal with it.

Brakes and in gear for sure, agree on the clevis. Dealer mentioned using one but I'm not super comfortable attaching to something that can be removed. I had a hitch pin work loose on the top of the flail mower before so I prefer to hook on fixed things.

/ Hauling tractor for the first time, tell me what I'm doing wrong #5  
Im no pro but i put my hooks on top of the stake pockets. Run the chain through like you have it and wrap it around to hook on the top. That way, if the binder loosens, the hook will stay on the top of the stake pocket.

/ Hauling tractor for the first time, tell me what I'm doing wrong #6  
I agree with hooking the chains on the top of the stake pocket. Otherwise it's a better job than I would have done.

/ Hauling tractor for the first time, tell me what I'm doing wrong
Im no pro but i put my hooks on top of the stake pockets. Run the chain through like you have it and wrap it around to hook on the top. That way, if the binder loosens, the hook will stay on the top of the stake pocket.

Oh man, that's an awesome idea. Would make getting the binders and straps on easier too since I had one drop out as I was getting it hooked up the first time.

Adjusted the both fronts a bit, reversed binders on the back so they sit flush and snugged it, tractor definitely is sitting squat on the trailer now.

23566059998_c3fdbf2193_b.jpg

/ Hauling tractor for the first time, tell me what I'm doing wrong #8  
Looks good to me now.

Aaron Z

/ Hauling tractor for the first time, tell me what I'm doing wrong #9  
A tennis ball will prevent bugs from getting in the exhaust pipe.

/ Hauling tractor for the first time, tell me what I'm doing wrong #10  
Thanks, to get a bit more angle would you just go a little further back on the frame behind the loader bracket?

Good to know on the binders, most of mine are like that where they're pinned to the deck but one is free floating a bit so wanted to know if there was any other tricks to deal with it.

Brakes and in gear for sure, agree on the clevis. Dealer mentioned using one but I'm not super comfortable attaching to something that can be removed. I had a hitch pin work loose on the top of the flail mower before so I prefer to hook on fixed things.

I haul my Ford 1920 FEL using 2" nylon ratchet straps.
My 1920 with loaded tires (WWF), weighs about 4000 lbs.
The nylon ratchet straps have a load rating higher than 5/16" chain.
I use chain, when I haul my 8000 lb. Ford 3400 TLB.