Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #1  

kittyhawk

Silver Member
Tractor
JD X300 X350 Lawn Tractors. BRANSON 3620H
Good evening guys, my Google fu isn't working to good tonight.
I was wondering if it's possible to haul a tractor on a U-haul car carrier double axle trailer? My big flat bed is currently out of service and was thinking you can rent a U-haul just about anywhere. I'm in the market for a new to me 35-60 hp tractor ranging from 3500 lbs to about 5500 lbs.
Thanks

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #2  
My experience, stay away. If you tell them what you are moving they will refuse you, then the liability begins.

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #3  
They will ask you to hat you are putting on it and what you are towing it with.

You have to tell them you are putting your cousins Honda Civic on it.

Those trailers are built pretty well and you can probably get away with putting a 4000 lb tractor on one.

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #4  

Those trailers are built pretty well and you can probably get away with putting a 4000 lb tractor on one.

And at that point ALL liability is on you...

Last edited:
   / Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #5  
Exactly what unreasonable liability do y'all forcast that is different to using his own or a neighbors trailer? If y'all know U-Haul trailers are poorly built and maintained,I reccomend calling one of the many trailer manufactures near Buffalo. There's one in every town throughout East Texas and most of their dealers rent trailers. If y'all are "chicken Littleing"over concurns of collision or the tractor shedding it's bindings and falling off the trailer,you might be glad to know A.Every motor vehicle registered in Texas and operated on public roads is required to be covered by liability insurance. B. Standard policies cover trailers towed for personal use by vehicle wheter owned,borrowed or rented if it replace's an owned trailer that is temporarly out of service. It even covers the tow vehicle if insured's is in the shop. Good luck with your search Kittyhawk. If you can hold your own in an auction,there's a big one in Idabel Ok.

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #6  
Good evening guys, my Google fu isn't working to good tonight.
I was wondering if it's possible to haul a tractor on a U-haul car carrier double axle trailer? My big flat bed is currently out of service and was thinking you can rent a U-haul just about anywhere. I'm in the market for a new to me 35-60 hp tractor ranging from 3500 lbs to about 5500 lbs.
Thanks

Check with your U-Haul dealer, however, I don't think they'll allow you to haul anything but a car, SUV, truck, etc... on their trailers. While their trailers are rated at a tad over 5900#, they will require you to tell them what type of vehicle you are hauling on their trailer so they can look in their database to get a weight estimate of that vehicle. Then they'll compare that weight, the weight of the trailer, combined, and see if your tow vehicle is capable. The tow vehicle is also in their database.

They don't have a database of tractor weights, so they aren't going to let you give them the numbers, nor are they going to look it up for you. Yes, it's about liability. I don't blame them.

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #7  

Even if you do everything right, someone else will cause an accident, you'll be involved, and U-Haul will void any insurance and liability you have with them because you lied. So will your own insurance company. Every ambulance chaser in the area will come after you and you'll lose plenty. Just don't do it. Find another way to haul it.

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #8  
Stay honest. If a court case develops, you have to go into court with "clean hands" or else you will loose big time.

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #9  
Stay honest. If a court case develops, you have to go into court with "clean hands" or else you will loose big time.

How many lawyers do you know with "clean hands"? :rolleyes:

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #10  
How many lawyers do you know with "clean hands"? :rolleyes:

Everyone here seems to be missing the biggest issue!
A tractor will not fit on a car trailer!
Car trailers have channels for the car wheels to sit in.
The channels are not sized properly to accommodate tractor wheel spacing!
Not tire width, but actual wheel spacing!

Ask me how I know this!