Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #51  
Loading my buddies 80 on the deck over is pretty sketchy but it’s too heavy and wide for the black trailer so that’s the only option we have. Steel tracks on steel trailers have zero traction to make it better.

Attachments

• IMG_9482.JPG
    IMG_9482.JPG
    839.3 KB · Views: 141
   / Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #52  
Loading my buddies 80 on the deck over is pretty sketchy but itç—´ too heavy and wide for the black trailer so thatç—´ the only option we have. Steel tracks on steel trailers have zero traction to make it better.

That setup enters on an entirely different league. It open a lot more opportunities for bigger machines.

Back when I still had my small crawler tractors, I had a this Mitsubishi truck with a stake bed (not sure if this is the right term). The bed floor was diamond plate, so I went to the local tire retreading place and got two rolls of truck tire retreading material. Every time I loaded that crawler tractor, I would lay the rolls on the bed of the truck and put the tractor on top of it.

This tractor had actually fallen of a similar truck once in its life before I got it and broke the casting on one of the final drives.

Pictures of the truck and tractor:

IMG_5015.JPG IMG_20180218_121618.jpg

PS: I do envy a little bit the goosenecks trailers and the tow ratings you guys are able to get there without getting into CDLs.

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #53  
PS: I do envy a little bit the goosenecks trailers and the tow ratings you guys are able to get there without getting into CDLs.[/QUOTE]

The loading job leaves room for improvement but weight wise this is legal in most of the 50 states without a special requirement. Some states don’t allow trailers over 10k despite the total still not being 26k.

Attachments

• IMG_9144.JPG
    IMG_9144.JPG
    705.4 KB · Views: 132
   / Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #54  
Back when I still had my small crawler tractors, I had a this Mitsubishi truck with a stake bed (not sure if this is the right term). The bed floor was diamond plate, so I went to the local tire retreading place and got two rolls of truck tire retreading material. Every time I loaded that crawler tractor, I would lay the rolls on the bed of the truck and put the tractor on top of it.

The ramps on my trailer leave room for improvement. They have the angle iron in between the channel sides and the track pads are wider then the ramps. They just sit on the slick channel and get zero traction. If they were built with the angle on top like this they would be way better. How much trouble is it to run medium duty trucks over there? IMG_9638.JPG

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #55  
The loading job leaves room for improvement but weight wise this is legal in most of the 50 states without a special requirement. Some states don’t allow trailers over 10k despite the total still not being 26k.

That capacity would be very nice to have here. Even for small contractors to move machinery around, as they are usually overweight most of the times with mini excavators, skidsteers, JCB 1CX, etc.

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #56  
The ramps on my trailer leave room for improvement. They have the angle iron in between the channel sides and the track pads are wider then the ramps. They just sit on the slick channel and get zero traction. If they were built with the angle on top like this they would be way better. How much trouble is it to run medium duty trucks over there? View attachment 684955

I've noticed that as well on some of the videos I see of people towing stuff. That for sure can make for a sketchy ride.

Maybe you could just weld some short pieces of rebar on the channel sides of the ramps. It would provide something for the tractors to hold on.

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #57  
That capacity would be very nice to have here. Even for small contractors to move machinery around, as they are usually overweight most of the times with mini excavators, skidsteers, JCB 1CX, etc.

It would be hard to get much done with a 7k cap including the trailer. We’ve had plenty of debate before about tractors doing a trucks job. Are they easier to make legal for more weight?

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #58  
It would be hard to get much done with a 7k cap including the trailer. We’ve had plenty of debate before about tractors doing a trucks job. Are they easier to make legal for more weight?

I agree, would have been hard to bring this tractor home as it weighs around 9k:
480F LL On Trailer.jpg

Aaron Z

/ Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #59  
I agree, would have been hard to bring this tractor home as it weighs around 9k:
View attachment 684957

Aaron Z

You’d be limited to like a B26 at that weight class. My full-size hoe was 17,000 on a 5500 pound trailer. My M59 is close to 10k.

Attachments

• IMG_6825.JPG
    IMG_6825.JPG
    693 KB · Views: 119
   / Hauling tractor on U-haul car carrier trailer #60  
It would be hard to get much done with a 7k cap including the trailer. We致e had plenty of debate before about tractors doing a trucks job. Are they easier to make legal for more weight?

Although this is way more common in Scandinavia, the other countries in Europe will also do it but not as much.

It's easier and cheaper to get the drivers license for the bigger tractors and it's less expensive having tractors doing trucks jobs. With a tractor, you wouldn't need the yearly vehicle inspections, tachograph and tachograph inspections, and all the associated stuff. Also, I don't think you have to renew the drivers license for tractors, or at least that often compared to trucks.

This works better because of the smaller travel distances to the jobs since the countries are, for the most part, small. At least compared to the US.

My country actually don't do it that much. For those that can justify the expense of running a truck, they mostly run 20 ton dump trucks fitted with Pallfinger cranes. It's a good general purpose truck.

volvo.jpg

And this smaller 5.5 ton one:
This one can get registered at light duty and can be driven by anyone with a B category drivers license (can drive all vehicles up to 7700 lbs gross weight), but gets capped at 7700 lbs. Or can be registered as commercial and get a 5.5 ton gross weight capacity but needs C category drivers license (can drive trucks without trailers).

transferir.jpg