Oil & Fuel Having problems with my power steering on my John Deere 2350

/ Having problems with my power steering on my John Deere 2350 #1  

Carter1225

Tractor
Maasey Ferguson 230
After I mow with it for about an hour making many hard turns left and right it’s sometimes acts like it’s out of fluid and gets real hard to steer until I give it a few more RPM. Sometimes it will clear itself up and act normal again. Today when I cranked it up the steering wheel turned but the wheels didn’t move until I raised the RPM up to about 1500.
I change the filter and the fluid about 100 hours ago. The stick shows it has plenty of fluid in it.
Any ideas?

Carter1225

/ Having problems with my power steering on my John Deere 2350 #2  
Sounds like a pump. But could also be the rotary valve or steering cylinder(s). The only way to know is to invest in some test equipment and check the pressure at the various locations. Does that tractor have a separate pump with lines going to the rotary valve?

Use a high pressure gauge, hydraulic hose and some adapters to make a tester. Don't "dead-head" for too long. Start, rev the engine, check the gauge then shut down.

Hard to diagnose it from here. 😏

/ Having problems with my power steering on my John Deere 2350
Sounds like a pump. But could also be the rotary valve or steering cylinder(s). The only way to know is to invest in some test equipment and check the pressure at the various locations. Does that tractor have a separate pump with lines going to the rotary valve?

Use a high pressure gauge, hydraulic hose and some adapters to make a tester. Don't "dead-head" for too long. Start, rev the engine, check the gauge then shut down.

Hard to diagnose it from here.

I don’t know if it has a separate pump or not. There’s not one by the water pump, alternator etc
I didn’t get a manual with it so thought I’d start here for something simple. I’m assuming it uses the same fluid as the hydraulics
Might be a job for a mechanic
Thanks for your answer

/ Having problems with my power steering on my John Deere 2350 #4  
You can download a 2350 operators manual for free at Search for Equipment Publications - Technical Information Store. It appears from viewing JD 2350 parts catalog that your tractor could have either hydrostatic(with ""separate filter"") or draglink type steering. Your tractor has closed center hyd system with a trans pump that's low pressure to supply frt main pump which should have hyd stand-by pressure of 2250 psi. Frt hyd pump supplies oil to either type power steering valve.

I suggest for you to determine type of power steering that your tractor has & to check stand-by pressure of frt pump with a gauge.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-13 060303.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-13 060303.png
    504.6 KB · Views: 47