Hay Delivery Day!!!

/ Hay Delivery Day!!! #21  
I've never seen 100 lb bales. I have enough fun stacking 60 lb bales by hand.
Yes, I think it is a western thing, though I don't know where the line is. When I grew hay in the Midwest, all of it was 70lb bales. Here in California retail hay is 100 lb bale territory for sure. Nobody bales 60-70lb bales here, where they are all 100-120lbs a piece. Large farms are setup for the big square bales.

All the best,

Peter

/ Hay Delivery Day!!! #22  
I've never seen 100 lb bales. I have enough fun stacking 60 lb bales by hand.
All I ever had as a kid, wire tied. Couldn't even get your fingers under the wires you had to use hooks. And that's why I can still draw any weight bow at any time:ROFLMAO:

/ Hay Delivery Day!!! #23  
I guess the horsey gals out west must be part time weightlifters then. A 100 pound square bale here would fly as well as a concrete cinder block.

/ Hay Delivery Day!!! #24  
Yes, I think it is a western thing, though I don't know where the line is. When I grew hay in the Midwest, all of it was 70lb bales. Here in California retail hay is 100 lb bale territory for sure. Nobody bales 60-70lb bales here, where they are all 100-120lbs a piece. Large farms are setup for the big square bales.

All the best,

Peter

I really dislike the three string, too much for me. The local feed store sells a semi load every 8 days, those guys that load it are buff, then I have to drag it, lol. If you notice in the picture I posted the truck is loaded in sections. The special fork lift loader (squeeze) loads them that way, 64 bales per squeeze. The farmer uses a stacker that is the same size/count. Makes for easy work, same with the big bales, but not many homeowners are setup to handle those.

For some reason, hay is a very popular sale item here with sellers everywhere, from 60lb to the big square or round bales. I like the 60 lb and use to buy and sell it years ago. Too expensive and competitive now.

downsized_1006020847.jpg

Last edited:
   / Hay Delivery Day!!! #25  
This local seller has some really strange hay bundles, I have never seen this before.

00c0c_5yHspb9Ejlcz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
00F0F_kjTUGFXuo8Ez_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

/ Hay Delivery Day!!! #27  

All the best,

Peter
When I baled horse hay-timothy-in Maine, the typical small bale was 45 lbs, more or less. That's what the competition sold so that's what I baled. Nice fresh smelling and green color smelled good enough to eat.

/ Hay Delivery Day!!! #28  
I guess the horsey gals out west must be part time weightlifters then. A 100 pound square bale here would fly as well as a concrete cinder block.
I am in Northern Indiana. We get the typical 50-60 pound small square here. I would love about a 150 pounder. I would imagine a small spear for my tractor to move them from here to there. Would be a lot easier than doing it by hand. They would still flake off and be easy to hand feed to the horses. A guy can dream.

/ Hay Delivery Day!!! #30  
The bundle makes so much sense to me. A good compromise between what the end user desires and the farmer's need to reduce labor and do more mechanically. Plus if we went to those for our horses I would be able to justify a bigger tractor, and who doesn't want that!