Hay gathering for 35 hp

den75

Tractor
Kioti DK 35
Any hay gathering equipment out there that can be used with a 35 hp tractor? I'm talking about getting square bales out of the field.

zzvyb6

Elite Member
Tractor
jd 1070
Works for me. Not much power required, but the empty tongue load is high. Need front weights or a loader attached. Mine also has the single bale unloading feature. Youtube has a vid on how this works.

The alternative is a wagon or trailer behind the baler with a 1 armed teenager on-board, good cell signal or wi-fi coverage and light weight bales. stack_wagon.jpgstack_wagon_III.jpg

kthompson

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas B2710, M6800, L6060 cab, Volvo EC excavator, 2 ZTRs and various implements.
Have you done a search on equipment you will need? There is equipment for smaller tractors. Not sure how small but know there is lower hp equipment on line more than one place.

OP
D

den75

Tractor
Kioti DK 35
Have you done a search on equipment you will need? There is equipment for smaller tractors. Not sure how small but know there is lower hp equipment on line more than one place.
Been looking at tractortoolsdirect for mowers, rakes and balers so far. Have about 20 acres to cut which a neighbor currently does, but it's a low priority and always seem to get cut late. Looking at what it would take to do it myself

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
look into accumulators, this is with a 50+ HP MF but they might make smaller.

Back when I was haying as a teenager (about 1970) we sometimes towed a baler with a "kicker" that USUALLY kicked the bale up into a relatively small trailer.

atsah

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3025E
Don’t know how much you want to spend but just a simple hay drag on the back of your baler would put 8 bales in one spot instead one bale every 30 ft..

OP
D

den75

Tractor
Kioti DK 35
I know there is equipment out there that I can get the hay cut and baled with my tractor. Just concerned now about how to get 1000 plus bales out of the field and stacked with limited manpower.

OP
D

den75

Tractor
Kioti DK 35
How many you baling at once?
Well, it's 3 fields about 7 acres each. Would like to get them done all at once while the weather permits.

atsah

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3025E
That’s gonna be a tough one, my brother does 700 at a time and does so by himself, but he has big tractors, baler with a kicker and four wagons so the only hands on work in stacking in his barn and his barn is big enough to put the three wagons in and he stacks a wagon an evening after work.

OP
D

den75

Tractor
Kioti DK 35
That’s gonna be a tough one, my brother does 700 at a time and does so by himself, but he has big tractors, baler with a kicker and four wagons so the only hands on work in stacking in his barn and his barn is big enough to put the three wagons in and he stacks a wagon an evening after work.
I understand. What I'm facing now is my neighbor gets his 30 acres done then it always seems we're waiting a good month or more for a few clear days to get mine done. I live in South central Kentucky and last year the first cutting wasn't done until late July. When I tell you the hay was crap that would be an understatement.

aczlan

Super Star Member
Tractor
Case 480F LL, Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660
I know there is equipment out there that I can get the hay cut and baled with my tractor. Just concerned now about how to get 1000 plus bales out of the field and stacked with limited manpower.
What kind of barn are you putting them into? If it is open, you could use one of those Bale accumulator trailers like someone posted earlier. That will let you get a whole stack in the barn at a time. However, if you have a barn that is taller than the stack, you'll have to add bales to the top of the stack, or be okay with losing several bales worth of height.

Otherwise, you need a whole bunch of hay wagons and a baler with a kicker on it.
Another option (if you are bailing for yourself and have an area where you can feed them) would be to do round bales. Those are much less labor-intensive to store.

Aaron Z

atsah

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3025E
That is pretty late for first cutting. You can run a small baler, a rake and a Tedder with any 35 hp tractor but hay automation requires HP and weight..

OP
D

den75

Tractor
Kioti DK 35
What kind of barn are you putting them into? If it is open, you could use one of those Bale accumulator trailers like someone posted earlier. That will let you get a whole stack in the barn at a time. However, if you have a barn that is taller than the stack, you'll have to add bales to the top of the stack, or be okay with losing several bales worth of height.

Otherwise, you need a whole bunch of hay wagons and a baler with a kicker on it.
Another option (if you are bailing for yourself and have an area where you can feed them) would be to do round bales. Those are much less labor-intensive to store.

Aaron Z
Barn is not really that open and I couldn't unload those stacks from those accumulators all at once. As far as round bales, I don't think I can get a round baler that makes 4x5 round bales that my tractor can handle.

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I understand. What I'm facing now is my neighbor gets his 30 acres done then it always seems we're waiting a good month or more for a few clear days to get mine done. I live in South central Kentucky and last year the first cutting wasn't done until late July. When I tell you the hay was crap that would be an understatement.
Weather may be your main problem.
I'm in northern Virginia. We normally get about 7 inches for ALL of July and August. There's a Weather Underground station about 200 yards from me. Between the time I got back from Mississippi on July 16 and August 3rd we got 12.3 inches of rain. I don't think there were many days that you could cut hay. And even then the hay would have never dried out to bale. And it can only lay in the field wet for a bit before it starts to rot.
Meanwhile my Mississippi place which normally gets 8 inches for ALL of July and August only reported 1.8 inches for the July 16 through August 3rd period.

With the way weather is fluctuating you may need to get a bigger tractor to get it all done in a timely fashion.

atsah

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3025E
The way to go would be to rake and tedd the hay with your 35hp tractor and buy an older big tractor and kick them into wagons, I don’t see any other way.

If you don’t have any equipment yet and this is something you are definitely going to do, I would buy a big tractor first and buy a NH baler with a kicker or whatever baler you want and four wagons, then your in business..

OP
D

den75

Tractor
Kioti DK 35
Thanks guys, appreciate the ideas. Definitely have a few things to consider.

prof fate

Platinum Member
Tractor
kioti ck3510 Cub Cadet 149, 2146, Toro Zero Turn
they make roundbalers that make 80lb round bales. Still the issue of 1000 bales though.

We're considering haying some of the pasture next year..30hp PTO - cutter, no issue. rake, no issue. older square balers will work just fine.

But yeah, then you have a field of bales to pickup. 30-40hp won't be enought to pull a baler and wagon.

I've seen things that attach to the loader that can grab then stack multiple square bales - but they don't show that the bales need lined up first...

There's this...Hay wagon working slick - YouTube

read this for some ideas..
https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/blogs...y-Making-and-Handling-Made-Easier-2ark77z.pdf

quicksandfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, purchased 2007
I would look again at round balers, the reason they have become popular is that they are so much less labor-intensive. Round bales are also more weather resistant, so you have more leeway in getting them put away. Small square bales only make sense if you don't have the ability to feed round bales.

I also have a 35 hp tractor, and I spent some time looking at round balers, there are a bunch that make bales in the 500 pound range that require less than 35 HP. The bale is going to be about 4x4. Here's the list of models I came up with:
New idea 6343
Challenger rb34
Hesston 530
International 8420
Hesston 730
New idea 6243
Massey 1734
Hesston 5530
Krone KR 125, 130
Krone KR 100

(A lot of these are rebadging or renumbering of the same basic baler).

A couple that take 40 HP:
New Holland BR 730
Deere 330

Regardless of the technology, this is going to be a big job for a small tractor. I get a little under 5,000 lbs of hay per acre, if you've got 20 acres that's 100,000 lbs of hay that needs to be moved, one way or another. Your tractor is about 3,500 lbs, how much weight do you feel you can safely control? Would you feel comfortable going down a hill with a wagon that outweighs the tractor? Where ever you decide your limit is, it's going to be a lot of trips.

StuartDK45SE

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE
I concur with quicksandfarmer. I fantasize about doing square bales on my place again some day, but it is a major headache handling them. I'm going 4 x 4 round bales with my 38 pto hp tractor. That way I can cut, rake an bale by myself when I want to. And I am still going to target horse people, they will just have to be ones that can feed round bales.

I bought an old New Holland 630 round baler which I haven't tried yet, but it should do okay. Vermeer rebel 400 may be another one to look at. Get something that controls bale density with spring tension. The only hydraulics on my 630 are to lift the tail gate.

prof fate

Platinum Member
Tractor
kioti ck3510 Cub Cadet 149, 2146, Toro Zero Turn
depends how you feed. Our horses are in the barn during the day (heat, bugs) so they need hay and a couple of flakes from a SSbale is easy peasy. The 1200ish lb square bales are nice too, but not as common to find. And you need a tractor to mvoe them.

Rounds SUCK for taking a little bit off. We feed them in the winter and there is a good bit of waste, but it saves making daily or twice daily trips out to the pasture to feed hay.

aczlan

Super Star Member
Tractor
Case 480F LL, Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660
Barn is not really that open and I couldn't unload those stacks from those accumulators all at once. As far as round bales, I don't think I can get a round baler that makes 4x5 round bales that my tractor can handle.
Your DK35 should be able to handle a 700-1200# round bale on the loader. We have a L3830 that will make a 5x5 round bale with our Ford 552 round baler, it grunts for the last foot and that makes it hard for the B7500 to scoot the bale around on the 3 point, so we generally stick to a 5' Long x 4' Diameter round bale.

The way to go would be to rake and tedd the hay with your 35hp tractor and buy an older big tractor and kick them into wagons, I don’t see any other way.
If you don’t have any equipment yet and this is something you are definitely going to do, I would buy a big tractor first and buy a NH baler with a kicker or whatever baler you want and four wagons, then your in business..
We do it all with our L3830, we bale with either a NH 269 (with a belt kicker and a basket wagon in tow), or a Ford 552 round baler.

I would look again at round balers, the reason they have become popular is that they are so much less labor-intensive. Round bales are also more weather resistant, so you have more leeway in getting them put away. Small square bales only make sense if you don't have the ability to feed round bales.

I also have a 35 hp tractor, and I spent some time looking at round balers, there are a bunch that make bales in the 500 pound range that require less than 35 HP. The bale is going to be about 4x4. Here's the list of models I came up with:
New idea 6343
Challenger rb34
Hesston 530
International 8420
Hesston 730
New idea 6243
Massey 1734
Hesston 5530
Krone KR 125, 130
Krone KR 100

(A lot of these are rebadging or renumbering of the same basic baler).

A couple that take 40 HP:
New Holland BR 730
Deere 330
Add the Ford 552 (Aka the Gehl RB1500A) to your list. We run one with our L3830 and it makes up to a 5x5 round bale with 32 PTO HP.

Regardless of the technology, this is going to be a big job for a small tractor. I get a little under 5,000 lbs of hay per acre, if you've got 20 acres that's 100,000 lbs of hay that needs to be moved, one way or another. Your tractor is about 3,500 lbs, how much weight do you feel you can safely control? Would you feel comfortable going down a hill with a wagon that outweighs the tractor? Where ever you decide your limit is, it's going to be a lot of trips.
We run our baler with our L3830, with loaded tires and the snowblower frame on the front it is about 4000#. The only time I have felt a little pucker factor towing the NH269 baler and a ~120 bale basket wagon around the field is when going downhill into a curve on a cleanup pass (read, moving fast with a full wagon, downhill and into a curve). Otherwise, it has been fine.

I concur with quicksandfarmer. I fantasize about doing square bales on my place again some day, but it is a major headache handling them. I'm going 4 x 4 round bales with my 38 pto hp tractor. That way I can cut, rake an bale by myself when I want to. And I am still going to target horse people, they will just have to be ones that can feed round bales.
That is where we are at. With a round baler, my wife and I can bale a field by ourselves in an afternoon (me baling, her running the bales back to the barn), square bales takes at least 4 more people (2 to unload the wagon/feed the elevator and 2 to stack in the barn).

I bought an old New Holland 630 round baler which I haven't tried yet, but it should do okay. Vermeer rebel 400 may be another one to look at. Get something that controls bale density with spring tension. The only hydraulics on my 630 are to lift the tail gate.
Our Ford 552 is similar, the only hydraulics are the ones to lift the tailgate and to move the twine arm back and forth. Bale tension is done with belts and springs.

Aaron Z

atsah

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3025E
I’m sure it can be done as long as you’re not pulling a baler and full wagons up hills or going down hills for that matter.. I had a TC45DA a few years back and I pulled a NH baler and a wagon, when the wagon had 150 bales in it, that tractor had all it wanted, a little hilly but not bad hills, if it didn’t have 4x4 it would have been pretty much useless.

kthompson

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas B2710, M6800, L6060 cab, Volvo EC excavator, 2 ZTRs and various implements.

Missed you were only concerned about moving the hay. First thing you have to do is be certain on the bales you will use and the size. Round bales and square bales use different equipment and of course size of bales affect the equipment.

If your tractor will handle a New Holland hay wagon that might work. Never used one myself but have worked in field with one and if all is running right again if your tractor will handle it probably can. Look at youtube for hay wagon.

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
If you do a search on my user name there is a lot of imformation.

I use either a IH 1300 9' sickle mower or PZ170 drum mower. I run a rotary rake and tedder, bale with a Heston 4550 inline - standard 2 string square baler. and to pick up the hay a small quick connect 205 hay grapple Specialty Grabbers | Kuhns Mfg LLC | North Bloomfield, OH

I use it to gather and stack on my Goose neck trailer which I pull with my tractor to the barn, then unload and re-stack with the grapple.

0616171031b.jpg0616171225.jpg0616171225a.jpg0616171347.jpg

LouNY

Tractor
Branson 8050, IH 574, Oliver 1550 Diesel Utility (traded in on Branson)
I don't recall what your are feeding your hay to.
One option to consider is to have someone with a round baler and a wrapper do haylage bales for you.
The weather becomes much less of an issue with haylage, mow one day bale the next and wrap.
The worst thing with wrapped bales is handling them afterwards, they are heavy and you can't use a bale spear unless you are feeding it out that day.
The majority of our first cutting goes to haylage or haylage bales.

StuartDK45SE

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE
@ powerscol

How many bales can you comfortably put on the ground AND get on a trailer(s) in a day?

OP
D

den75

Tractor
Kioti DK 35
If you do a search on my user name there is a lot of imformation.

I use either a IH 1300 9' sickle mower or PZ170 drum mower. I run a rotary rake and tedder, bale with a Heston 4550 inline - standard 2 string square baler. and to pick up the hay a small quick connect 205 hay grapple Specialty Grabbers | Kuhns Mfg LLC | North Bloomfield, OH

I use it to gather and stack on my Goose neck trailer which I pull with my tractor to the barn, then unload and re-stack with the grapple.

View attachment 565834View attachment 565835View attachment 565836View attachment 565837
Do you use an accumulator to get the bales together first?

OP
D

den75

Tractor
Kioti DK 35
I don't recall what your are feeding your hay to.
One option to consider is to have someone with a round baler and a wrapper do haylage bales for you.
The weather becomes much less of an issue with haylage, mow one day bale the next and wrap.
The worst thing with wrapped bales is handling them afterwards, they are heavy and you can't use a bale spear unless you are feeding it out that day.
The majority of our first cutting goes to haylage or haylage bales.
Feeding horses

OP
D

den75

Tractor
Kioti DK 35
In your situation, you might consider a Massey 1734 baler. They make an approx 3x4 bale, around 500 lbs.

Here is a video 1734 Round Baler - YouTube
Definitely something else to consider. Didn't know they made round balers that produced bales in the 500lb range

TheMan419

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Boomer 24
Beaver Valley Supply Company - Legend Bale Accumulator Grapples

You can get accumulators for smaller tractors.

Our hay guy delivers and stacks with a skid steer. He does thousands of small square bales himself with the skid steer for picking them out of the field.

We had 430 bales delivered today. I did not have to touch a single one. I just had to put down the next set of pallets for him when he was ready to start a new stack.

It was easy peasy for him. Took about 2 hrs to unload and stack.

zzvyb6

Elite Member
Tractor
jd 1070
Please clarify what equipment that you have now. It sounds like you have enough tractor, maybe a rake and baler and now you want to pick up bales dropped off by the baler as they are formed out in a field. That right ?

If so, are you willing to buy another baler to make rounds, then pick up heavy rounds, store rounds, move rounds to a feeder and clean up the mess?

Is your baler reliable enough to make perfectly sized and tied square bales ? If not, then a hay-basket or accumulator or grapple will make a serious mess in a wagon or field because it will take a while to spot the problem. And the missed tie(s) may result in a damaged knotter if the twine wraps up around the duck-bill and breaks these parts or the cutoff knife assembly.

Why does it take 4 people to handle bales up the elevator and pack the hay mow ? Around here, 2 is plenty, unless they like tripping over each other.

I do the whole job by myself, about 700 - 900 bales per year. I run my mower for 20 minutes in 2nd range and first gear. This produces about 120 bales when processed. I wait a few days and start up again. I use my NH-1012 stacker self-unload feature sometimes (pops out 8 at a time automatically), they jump on the ground elevator and onto a mow elevator. When I feel like it, I restack the mow into stacks of 10, 3 high. This gives me the count for winter use and need, lets me decide to sell some based on inventory. My mow elevator runs both ways so I can plop them onto a trailer or pickup bed for buying customers from the mow exit.

All my equipment is old (almost as old as I am) and is kept in nice condition (not pretty, but 'nice'). No need for a second tractor (although I pulled a rake once with a Corvette (I added a trailer hitch). Loose hay got wrapped up in one of the axle shafts: not recommended.

OP
D

den75

Tractor
Kioti DK 35
Please clarify what equipment that you have now. It sounds like you have enough tractor, maybe a rake and baler and now you want to pick up bales dropped off by the baler as they are formed out in a field. That right ?

den75 -Currently only have the 35 hp. tractor as I'm just beginning to research cutting my own hay so I'm wide open for options. And yes, if I square bale, which is my preference, I need a way to move those bales out of the field and stack them in the barn with limited man power

If so, are you willing to buy another baler to make rounds, then pick up heavy rounds, store rounds, move rounds to a feeder and clean up the mess?

den75- Large rounds aren't my preferred method of feeding. Just doesn't fit my setup. Each horse is in his own paddock/dry lot most of the winter and not all fed together.

Is your baler reliable enough to make perfectly sized and tied square bales ? If not, then a hay-basket or accumulator or grapple will make a serious mess in a wagon or field because it will take a while to spot the problem. And the missed tie(s) may result in a damaged knotter if the twine wraps up around the duck-bill and breaks these parts or the cutoff knife assembly.

Why does it take 4 people to handle bales up the elevator and pack the hay mow ? Around here, 2 is plenty, unless they like tripping over each other.

den75- I don't have an elevator and bales are not stored in a hay loft. They are stored in an old tobacco pole barn which is not wide open so I don't have a lot of room to maneuver a tractor or anything else around to stack the bales. It's all done manually.

I do the whole job by myself, about 700 - 900 bales per year. I run my mower for 20 minutes in 2nd range and first gear. This produces about 120 bales when processed. I wait a few days and start up again. I use my NH-1012 stacker self-unload feature sometimes (pops out 8 at a time automatically), they jump on the ground elevator and onto a mow elevator. When I feel like it, I restack the mow into stacks of 10, 3 high. This gives me the count for winter use and need, lets me decide to sell some based on inventory. My mow elevator runs both ways so I can plop them onto a trailer or pickup bed for buying customers from the mow exit.

den75- I don't have the room to unload the 1012 in the barn automatically. See above answer about the elevator. Also, I really need to get the hay cut all at once as weather permits. If I only partially cut and bale I could be waiting 2-3 weeks or more for dependable weather to cut and bale again as it's not uncommon to get 60-80% chance of thunderstorms for days on end. Sometimes we get them, sometimes not, but can't take the chance cutting hay.

All my equipment is old (almost as old as I am) and is kept in nice condition (not pretty, but 'nice'). No need for a second tractor (although I pulled a rake once with a Corvette (I added a trailer hitch). Loose hay got wrapped up in one of the axle shafts: not recommended.

den75- Yeah, My wife and I are both 60 so man handling hundreds of bales of hay at a time isn't as easy as it used to be.

Answers above

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
@ powerscol

How many bales can you comfortably put on the ground AND get on a trailer(s) in a day?

A little over 300 if I can start early on the baling. I can move close to 600 in a day if they are on the ground when I start (my record). I can get about 175 on the trailer before my mule complains, or I get nervous moving it

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Do you use an accumulator to get the bales together first?

No. I can grab 4 in less than a minute and create mini stacks around the field, then load the trailer. When I create the stacks I keep in mind I need cross loaded bale sets (4 sideways) to create interlocking.
But I hope to get one in the future. Would really make things go faster.

This is the one that would work for me
8 Bale Flat | Kuhns Mfg LLC | North Bloomfield, OH

powerscol

Veteran Member
Tractor
CT 235
Beaver Valley Supply Company - Legend Bale Accumulator Grapples

You can get accumulators for smaller tractors.

Our hay guy delivers and stacks with a skid steer. He does thousands of small square bales himself with the skid steer for picking them out of the field.

We had 430 bales delivered today. I did not have to touch a single one. I just had to put down the next set of pallets for him when he was ready to start a new stack.

It was easy peasy for him. Took about 2 hrs to unload and stack.

Keep in mind that unit has that fixed center bar. Becomes an issue in getting a tight stack. Also takes a pretty good size tractor. Remember you lifting the weight of the grabber unit and bales. I went with the smaller one for ease of use in my barn and not needing ballast over and above my filled tires