hay mower for 3510 question

/ hay mower for 3510 question #1  

nworbekim

Bronze Member
Tractor
mahindra 3510
i have a mahindra 3510 and have been using a 4' bush hog and a 5' finish mower. i'm not a farmer, but i have a farm. i mow part of it myself and let the neighbors mow parts for the hay. i was watching them mow hay last week and it occurred to me that if i could find a hay mower for my size tractor i could get around ponds better and under trees...

do they make a mower like that small enough for the 3510? i was told that it would take at least a 40 hp tractor to pull a mower like that...

thanks...

/ hay mower for 3510 question #2  
You don't say, but I suspect that you're asking about a sickle mower? That sticks out 7-9' to the right and is 3-point mounted?

Just guessing since you mentioned being able to get under trees and your neighbors were using it for hay.
If that's the case, I'd say you can find one that will fit. Doesn't take much HP to run and they're not all that heavy. I used to have an old JD sickle mower that was on wheels so it carried its own weight. For the record, I'd hate to try to trim with it.

Also, if we're talking about a sickle mower here, better lock up the dogs. They love to run beside the tractor and they can't see the sickle coming at them. When I was a kid there were 3-legged dogs everywhere. The only mowers anyone had were sickle-bar mowers.

OR . . . are you asking about a disc mower? Perhaps it had a curtain around the cutting area? Might take a little more HP but you could get a small one.

Need to figure out what kind of mower you're asking about . . .

Last edited:
   / hay mower for 3510 question
i am thinking disc mower but after seeing the video, i'm having to rethink. it looks more powerful than the sicklebars i grew up with. i like the ability to change angles.

i have places i can't get a bush hog or finish mower into very comfortably... reaching over and mowing drainage ditches would be easier than having to get into the mud and rut things up or backing across them a mower width at a time... i've looked at a line cutter/weed eater type also and like the way it rotates around fence posts...

do they make a disk mower small enough for a 35/10? it's a tough little tractor...

/ hay mower for 3510 question #6  
   / hay mower for 3510 question #7  
I run my NH479 haybine with a 35hp Deere. You need a live or 2-stage pto to work the best. I easily ran the same mower with a 22hp Yanmar 20 years ago even with a single stage pto/drive clutch. Tongue weight can be high but that's what iron front weight are all about. I use a 2-way cylinder for tongue swing and a 1 way cylinder for header lift, both powered off of the loader couplers.

baler, too. Also NH 1012 Stackliner