head gasket on RTV 900

/ head gasket on RTV 900 #1  

Jim Nelson

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800&B7510
I've found an RTV 900 local to me that is in pretty nice shape but the guy says the head gasket is leaking.The story is that the machine was being serviced and the coolant was drained out when a young employee needed to get another machine out so he started this one up to move it then left it idling for an unknown time.The owner of the business, who seems like a real straight shooter in talking to him, is convinced that all it needs is a head gasket. He said it starts and runs fine but leaks.
He was in a hurry to get to a meeting so I didn't get to talk to him very long but have a good buddy of mine going to look at it today and if he likes it I'll probably go look at it Friday and be ready to buy. He is asking $5000, firm, but I think if I show up ready to load it up, with a pocket full of cash I can talk him down some.
I realize that heat is the worst enemy of any engine and suspect that I will need to replace the head. I'm just looking for anyone that has had experience with these little engines, as far as repairing, and looking for input. I've owned 3 Kubotas with the 3 bangers and have a B7800 now with the 4 cal. and never had any problems. Mine have always run extra cool.
Thanks
Jim

/ head gasket on RTV 900 #2  
If you’ve owned Kubotas in the past, you know parts are always more expensive than they should be, so be sure to investigate before committing.

Just bought a temp sensor, that should have cost $25, they wanted $62, love my RTV, but ouch!

/ head gasket on RTV 900
Well I was just too nervous about the over heated engine and blown head gasket story so I looked a little farther away and found a RTV 1142 CVX for the same money, just have to drive 300 miles to get it. Leaving in the morning. It has been used as a work rig but well maintained, according to the owner, so hopefully will drag it home tomorrow evening. It needs a good cleaning up and some cosmetic work but that's fine.
I'll post pics if everything works as hoped for.