Head gasket service on a 1T GMC

/ Head gasket service on a 1T GMC #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
Continuing my education on 1T PUs, I came across this clip on YouTube.

YouTube - Head Gasket Replacement

One of the guys says it takes 26 hrs of labor for this work.

Looks like replacing the head gaskets on this GMC is not a DIY job.

Maybe I should be looking for one of those Isuzu cabover tow trucks modified to pull my 10K GN deckover flatbed trailer..

/ Head gasket service on a 1T GMC #2  
It is the same on a F-250 or 350.
Engineering!!
They could have designed the trucks where the engines sit forward more to allow maintenance to get to things.
Think that's bad .....you ought to explore airplanes!!
I think engineers intentionally design them to make it hard for the Techs to fix them!

/ Head gasket service on a 1T GMC #3  
yep ford is the same way...not sure on dodge. it is a tad ridiculous and expensive.

/ Head gasket service on a 1T GMC #4  
yep ford is the same way...not sure on dodge. it is a tad ridiculous and expensive.

Just think about it.......at a $100 @hour shop labor rate that is $2600 just for labor!!!
I wonder if they can leak check that before putting that back together........ha

/ Head gasket service on a 1T GMC #5  
Plain and simple these big trucks are not for everyone. The diesel only adds to the cost. Like they say you have to pay to play.

Chris

/ Head gasket service on a 1T GMC #6  
Is this the new Carfax commercial that will air during the super bowl ?

/ Head gasket service on a 1T GMC #7  
With the way the new V8 diesel are packed under the hoods of the Chevy's and Ford's it's not surprising the amount of time and effort it takes to a replace a head gasket. It's a lot simpler on a 5.9 Cummins in the Dodge's because the whole top of the engine is right there in front of you and not hidden behind all kinds of extras. But, with the new 6.7 it's gotten more complicated because of all the extra emissions stuff, though it's still easier than a V8.

/ Head gasket service on a 1T GMC #8  
The dealer around here makes the job abit easier (not less expensive though). They remove the front clip (fenders, hood and front cowling). Allows easier access.

/ Head gasket service on a 1T GMC #9  
I'm pretty sure that the Dmax head gaskets can be done without all that work. According to some GM techs that frequent the GM diesel forums, the gaskets can be changed in frame fairly eaisly. Changing to head studs require lifting the cab or removing the engine due to fire wall clearance.

I don't think I'd trust those guys to change my oil. Obviously they forgot a connection somewhere and tore the wire or hose they forgot. Another bone head move is supporting the cab by the rocker panels.

/ Head gasket service on a 1T GMC #10  
They actually raise the cab to pull the heads on some of the later model Ford Super Duty diesels... insanity. You'd think they'd at least bring back the old dog house cover style on the cab floor...