Heat pump hot water heaters?

/ Heat pump hot water heaters? #1  

Looking4new

Tractor
2012 Kioti CK27HST w/cab
Has anybody here had anything to do with heat-pump hot water heaters?
A link to what I am looking at....8 page pdf file
http://www.prostar-mechanical.com/brochure/GeoSpring%20hybrid%20water%20heater.pdf

Do they work more efficiently than standard hot water heaters?
I am on a well.
My water temperature coming into the house is 45*F.
Am I going to waste water to save on the hydro bill?

My basement/cellar stays at about 60* F all the time.

Are they worth the almost 4 times the price of a standard water heater?

More questions to follow after I think them up.

/ Heat pump hot water heaters? #2  
They are known as hybrid HWH, and now the only type one can buy in the US for any tank over 50 gallons. They are up to 4 times more efficient than a standard heater element design. They usually have a resistive element for fast recovery, but only one element. The things to consider. One is that in a cellar, the unit will blow a lot of cold air, potentially cooling the area. The other issue is life. Most tanks fail due to corrosion. The hybrids are also a steel tank that will eventually corrode as well. The average life of a heater is under 10 years, and the payback from energy savings can be an issue if corrosion kills the tank before you recoup your investment.

paul

/ Heat pump hot water heaters?
They are known as hybrid HWH, and now the only type one can buy in the US for any tank over 50 gallons. They are up to 4 times more efficient than a standard heater element design. They usually have a resistive element for fast recovery, but only one element. The things to consider. One is that in a cellar, the unit will blow a lot of cold air, potentially cooling the area. The other issue is life. Most tanks fail due to corrosion. The hybrids are also a steel tank that will eventually corrode as well. The average life of a heater is under 10 years, and the payback from energy savings can be an issue if corrosion kills the tank before you recoup your investment.

paul
The tank in the link is the only tank I am looking at and it is porcelain lined with anodes.
Part of this link is because my electric company is putting on a promotion for these things.
My goals are;
(1) lower the electric costs and
(2) have hot water all the time rather than just on the weekends when the electric costs are cheaper.
(3) I don't want to waste my water out of my well just to save $$ on the hydro bill.

/ Heat pump hot water heaters? #4  
I have a 60 gallon tank with a timer so only is on when hydro has cheaper rate... with 2 of us we never run out of water

/ Heat pump hot water heaters? #6  
They use about 3-4x less electricity.

Weather it's beneficial is impossible to determine.

1. You need to know how much you currently spend.
2. Need to know the cost difference.
3. Then you can calculate a payback period. If over 10years, I would not consider it.

They make things you can wire up that will moniter the heaters consumption over days or a month. My electric company loans them out. You'd be best served to get your hands on one of them, find out how many kwh you use in an average month. Figure in your average electric rage and the cost difference of the heaters and arrive at a payback time

/ Heat pump hot water heaters? #7  
I am always concerned about noise when apliances use fans. I see the spec says 58dbA average. What does "average" mean? There are a wide range of settings and no doubt some will be quite quiet. That also means some will be quite noisy. What is the max level?

/ Heat pump hot water heaters?
It is probably no louder than my washing machine which sounds like a thrashing machine. I can live with the noise, (turn the stereo up a notch) if I can lower my electricity bill and get 24 hour a day/7days a week hot water.

I am truly concerned about reliability. My current hot water tank (electric) is 15 years old and other than draining the sludge out of the bottom every spring that is all I do with it.

/ Heat pump hot water heaters? #9  
I've been thinking about one of those for here. Although three waterbuffalo that empty the 60 gallon tank every morning should be moved out by the time the HP heater would break even.
Currently saving $35-40 a month just by using a timer to energize the heater only during the lowest rates.

/ Heat pump hot water heaters? #10  
I looked into these about 6 years ago and was finding people were having a lot of issues with reliability. I was thinking when I read this thread that maybe quality had improved over time, but looking at Amazon customer reviews I'm not so sure.......
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: GE GeoSpring Hybrid Water Heater GEH5DNSRSA

Perhaps another manufacturer might be doing better.