Heat Pump shopping

/ Heat Pump shopping #11  
Goodman has a large market share. If I'm not they are still the #1 spot

Trane is my 1 line nordine the 2 nd goodman my 3 rd

/ Heat Pump shopping #12  
It's hard to stop a trane:D;)

Problem is once it does stop, God help you trying to get it running again.

I like to call you guys Tranewashed:D

On a side note, if you do go for a "tax credit" system, make sure that the HVAC contractor supplies you with an AHRI rating "match up" of the system. I'd suggest you make a copy of your invoice for the work and attach it to the AHRI rating sheet for your tax records.

See, if you go with a 14 SEER outdoor unit and a non variable speed air handler, you may only be getting 14 SEER. However, if you go with a variable speed air handler, you may actually get a 15 SEER.

Technically, the AHRI rating ensures that the manufacturer isn't "cheating" on what they are telling you what you should get since the ratings are done by a third party.

Example of an "official" AHRI rating done with Rheem equipment...

AHRI rating0001.jpg

Goodman has a large market share. If I'm not they are still the #1 spot

Last I checked Carrier is #1 and Goodman is #2.

nordine the 2 nd

Which Nordyne?

Broan?
Frigidaire?
Maytag?
Nutone?
Tappan?
Westinghouse?
Gibson?
Grandaire?
Philco?
Kelvinator?
Intertherm?
Miller?
Medallon?

You darn well better know your contractor number on their technical website:D LOL

In all honestly, I do like Nordyne. Air handlers are a nice size in small spaces, piston on some 13 SEER and most parts interchangable between brands. Good wrty to boot with the quality pledge. However... just like everyone else, they do have some issues:D Not to mention that out of 10 of the Nordyne names I've given, the only thing different about them is the name tag on the unit and perhaps some paint on their lower end units. Total BS marketing IMO, but you got to give them credit for going after the market share.

Last edited:
   / Heat Pump shopping #13  
Hope you find a good unit at a reasonable price. Talk about inflation, basically the same unit I had installed 4 years ago has almost doubled in price.

/ Heat Pump shopping #14  
ive got a 11 year old goodman heat pump, it is ok, just had to change the dual run cap on the outdoor unit and that is all i have done to that part, but as far as air hander goes. i would love to get my hands on the engineer who designed it with those thermal sequencers instead of normal relays, it is best to keep a few spare sequencers around, perhaps the new ones are better

/ Heat Pump shopping #15  
I have American Standard..Both heat pump and strip heater...Both have had very few problems after eight years...Warranty was very good. Excellent HVAC contractor helps too.

Sorry about my original post, I thought that the contractor shopping was a given.

Others experiences with the contractor over the long haul is key.

/ Heat Pump shopping #16  
I had my 1975 heat pump replaced with a variable speed Carrier. I used the power company home appliace sales (BGE home). They handled all brands so they didn't badmouth any and had good comparitive knowledge. They were about in the middle on their costs compared to other HVAC contractors. they showed me the size unit I would need and a comparitive cost of several brands and effeciency levels.

I didn't quite believe them but my electric bill for the last year and a half has been reduced by even more than they estimated. This is particularly true for cooling costs. My average summertime bill dropped about $90 and the winter bill $50.

/ Heat Pump shopping
Thanks for all the replies and good information. Keep it coming.

We will be getting estimates from several contractors and know something about all of them. We will be getting at least the minimum efficiency rating to qualify for the tax rebate. If the costs are not to high we will look at even higher seer units. i don't think we will need to replace ducts but I'll wait to see what the contractors say. The duct work is in an unfinished basement so easily accessible. This is our last house and we hope to be here another 20 years so if we need to pay a bit more for a system that will pay it back we will.

Thanks,
MarkV

/ Heat Pump shopping #18  
Mark, I would check with any contractor to make sure the evaporator coil/heating coil is coated to prevent "dirty sock syndrome." I have been fighting this for several years on my York system and have found that even after installing UV lamps above and below my evap coil, I still get the odor when the system goes into defrost mode. This year it has been particulary noticable because we have had so many nightime temperatures in the 20s. You can easily find a lot of info (both good and bad) by googling "dirty sock syndrome." UV is certainly not the complete answer. Coil coating seems to be the best solution at the moment.

/ Heat Pump shopping #19  
I researched this forum HVAC-Talk: Heating, Air & Refrigeration Discussion - Powered by vBulletin and went with a Carrier Infinity system. If it is a zoned system I don't think it can be beat. The thermostat is the most configurable one you can purchase. You can control every setting on the system yourself and tailor it to you needs. Statistical data for run times on high and low are also very good to know. This system has pressure and temperature sensors in the ducts to control airflow using DC driven fan. I have had this system for 5 years and had no call backs.
Jeff

/ Heat Pump shopping #20  
I know you are going with an electric backup heat pump, BUT, I have just had a York heat pump, LP gas backup ,system put in. It is the variable speed type. I have to admit, that I am a plumbing contractor that sells and installs boilers. That said , this system is GREAT. I strive for the least temperature sway with a boiler. This unit has almost no temperature difference from the set point. I can't get over how even the heat is. The down side is that I had to turn off the heat pump and run on staight LP. It blows warm air. I decided I would rather be comfortable instead of cheap. It won't maintain the comfort on HP setting. The other reason I went with the LP was that we are in the country and have power outages. I can run the LP heat with a very small generator.