Hello from the Sierra Foothills

/ Hello from the Sierra Foothills #1  

Branson Bob

Platinum Member
Tractor
2016 Branson 3520H
Hey All.

Branson Bob here, so named because of the April 2016 purchase of a Branson 3520H from Dave's Tractors in Red Bluff, CA. We bought the tractor with the FEL, backhoe, finish mower, pallet forks, and Rim Guard ballast. It's a hydrostatic due to my desire to see Wifey get proficient on the machine... that's a work in progress.

As a lot of you know, Dave from Dave's Tractors is a regular poster here.

We bought the tractor after Wifey and I fulfilled our dream of owning land when we purchased 10 acres on a hillside in the Sierra foothills last July.

As the natives here (and in many other places) proclaim, "this land grows rocks." Besides needing to wage war on partially submerged boulders in our meadow, the land has many Blue Oaks, manzanita, and Bull Pine in the wooded area sloping down towards the creek. We collect rainwater (15,000 gallons last winter) and want to turn our land into a bit of a garden spot. So we've removed trees in anticipation of planting grape vines, fruit trees, garden plots, etc. Besides the boulders, there's lots of stumps to dig up and pull out (these drought-resistant trees have crazy-*** root systems!) In addition we'll be skidding logs, mowing grass, clearing trails, and building fencing.

This is our first tractor although I've operated a bucket truck and stump grinder in my former life as an arborist (10 years) and a Gradall in my current job as a construction electrician (15 years).

Anyways I'm looking forward to getting to know and swapping info with all the regulars here, particularly in the Branson/Century forums.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Branson Bob

/ Hello from the Sierra Foothills #2  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

Enjoy the site.

/ Hello from the Sierra Foothills #4  
:welcome: to TBN Bob from NH.

/ Hello from the Sierra Foothills #5  
Hi Bob. Welcome to the forum!

/ Hello from the Sierra Foothills #6  
Welcome aboard!

For digging out stumps and their roots in my apple orchard 100+ miles west of you, I bought a small 3-point backhoe with 10 inch bucket. (see sig photo below). It works great for this.

I think you'll find your backhoe is your principal implement for farming stumps and boulders.

Post some photos. We love photos!

/ Hello from the Sierra Foothills #7  
Welcome to TBN!

/ Hello from the Sierra Foothills
Welcome aboard!

For digging out stumps and their roots in my apple orchard 100+ miles west of you, I bought a small 3-point backhoe with 10 inch bucket. (see sig photo below). It works great for this.

I think you'll find your backhoe is your principal implement for farming stumps and boulders.

Post some photos. We love photos!

It sure seems the backhoe is gonna stay attached quite a bit. I'm finding that there's a lot of finesse that goes into operating it and I'm looking forward to getting efficient on it.

These drought-resistant oaks are incredible. They're like icebergs with a lot more underneath than above!

I'll try posting some photos today. Thanks!

/ Hello from the Sierra Foothills
IMG_4815.JPGIMG_3401.JPG