help bucket pin came out of new backhoe bh92

/ help bucket pin came out of new backhoe bh92 #1  

Green Acres Homestead

Veteran Member
NewBrunswick & Nova Scotia www.lostcaper.com
Tractor
Kubota L4740 sold now have a new L2502 as off Jan 2023
I got about 30 hours on my kubota backhoe implement and when digging I noticed the bucket pin was sticking out several inches on one side. I inspected and the pin pushed far enough out that I had to line up the buck and pound the pin back in.

two questions.

1. The bolt that goes through the pin was not anywheres to be seen... Is this normal to loose the bolt and the pin back out.
2. Did I reinstall the pin properly..... After pounding the pin back in I lined up the bolt hole and put in another bolt. Something doesn't look quite right. The grease end is sticking out farther than all the other grease ends. Is that normal for the bucket pin. Is there a certain way to install the pin and grease nipple end.

/ help bucket pin came out of new backhoe bh92 #2  
Lynch-pin.jpg
I got about 30 hours on my kubota backhoe implement and when digging I noticed the bucket pin was sticking out several inches on one side. I inspected and the pin pushed far enough out that I had to line up the buck and pound the pin back in.

two questions.

1. The bolt that goes through the pin was not anywheres to be seen... Is this normal to loose the bolt and the pin back out.
2. Did I reinstall the pin properly..... After pounding the pin back in I lined up the bolt hole and put in another bolt. Something doesn't look quite right. The grease end is sticking out farther than all the other grease ends. Is that normal for the bucket pin. Is there a certain way to install the pin and grease nipple end.

Yes. My Kubota BH is the QA type and the original QA pin was secured by a simple spring-loaded linchpin. It failed one day and nearly bent the hoe end when the pin slid halfway out. I've seen that pin retainer used on other new Kubotas, too. I hope it isn't a standard fastening. If that is what yours was using, don't waste your time looking for it; the linchpin in the photo is the wrong way to secure any bucket pin. Use a more positive method. A double-nutted bolt will do as well as anything.

Don't know about your second question. In my QA system that pin doesn't have grease nipple. All the other pins seems to be the right length and are retained by thru bolts. Only that one pin had a linchpin for a retainer.
rScotty

/ help bucket pin came out of new backhoe bh92 #3  
Looking at pics of mine, both pins on the bucket should look the same.

Looking at a picture, looks like my top bolt is missing, was there in delivery pictures. Too sick to go out and look.

Mine is not QA.

/ help bucket pin came out of new backhoe bh92 #4  
Pin did not grow longer with use. If the pin is longer it getting exposed to more dirt and this led to the bolt coming loose. You might have noticed it when greasing if the pin was pushed out. If it was pushed out on the head side you may not have picked up on it. Double nutting sounds safe. Good catch on your part- when bent things are harder to put together.

/ help bucket pin came out of new backhoe bh92 #5  
Loosing that pin is bad. Repairs could be over a thousand. Toss the linchpin and use a double nutted or teflon nut.

/ help bucket pin came out of new backhoe bh92 #6  
IF, and that's a big if, you anticipate changing buckets often there are other shape of retaining pins that are relatively easy to swap by hand but are rarely lost.
For example the guy that dug a trench for my water line changed buckets a couple of times, used a real narrow bucket going across my driveway, bigger bucket for the rest of the work.

/ help bucket pin came out of new backhoe bh92
IF, and that's a big if, you anticipate changing buckets often there are other shape of retaining pins that are relatively easy to swap by hand but are rarely lost.
For example the guy that dug a trench for my water line changed buckets a couple of times, used a real narrow bucket going across my driveway, bigger bucket for the rest of the work.

Yeah I would like to get a quick change system with several buckets.

/ help bucket pin came out of new backhoe bh92 #8  
Those type of pins should not be on ground engagement equipment. I suggest you find another way to secure that pin before you really damage something.

Just because it came that way dosnt mean its good.

thanks. I will be sure to look into a property bolt.
Those type of pins should not be on ground engagement equipment. I suggest you find another way to secure that pin before you really damage something.

Just because it came that way dosnt mean its good.

The pin was retained by a normal bolt and nylon thread. Looking back I think what happened was I was taking out a big stump and the stump fetched up on the bolt and maybe broke the bolt off. Than after the bolt broke the pin backed out.
View attachment 530681
Yes. My Kubota BH is the QA type and the original QA pin was secured by a simple spring-loaded linchpin. It failed one day and nearly bent the hoe end when the pin slid halfway out. I've seen that pin retainer used on other new Kubotas, too. I hope it isn't a standard fastening. If that is what yours was using, don't waste your time looking for it; the linchpin in the photo is the wrong way to secure any bucket pin. Use a more positive method. A double-nutted bolt will do as well as anything.

Don't know about your second question. In my QA system that pin doesn't have grease nipple. All the other pins seems to be the right length and are retained by thru bolts. Only that one pin had a linchpin for a retainer.
rScotty