Help choosing 240v generator for MIG welder?

/ Help choosing 240v generator for MIG welder? #21  
Oh, here's a random neuron fizzle - if your remote doesn't wanna make it thru the metal wall, AND you're OK with replacing a small section of wall with wood siding, AND that genny WILL start from far enough away thru a piece of plywood, that MIGHT be a possible "plan D"...
Good idea.

I wonder if you can remove the remote control part on the generator, (and extend the wires) to where it might reach the remote signal. Or just remove and extend the key swich.

/ Help choosing 240v generator for MIG welder? #22  
Read more on the manual, it says "within 80 feet" - bought a Heath/Zenith yard light from Homeless Despot a few years ago, claimed 100 foot range - got within 10 feet of it thru a single pane glass window before it worked. Took it back. YMMV is definitely at work here...

If the hole in metal wall is close to YOU(and the remote fob) then 4-6 inches square should negate the "Faraday cage" effect. If the genny is what's close to wall, probably a couple FEET square (centered on the receiver)

Dan's thought might be worth looking at, the manual describes the remote as being modular but doesn't go into much detail. It also doesn't give frequency, just that it's FCC listed.

It does, however, make me think that if you want the remote to work you should leave a trickle charger on the battery (powered from (too wimpy to run a welder) line supply - because in order for the remote to work at all, the battery has to be on (couple switches on the genny control panel) which would drain the battery if you kept in a "ready to start remotely" mode for more than maybe a couple days.

Oh, and my neurons are still OK, I just tend to them "fizzling" if I'm not sure the particular idea might not work :laughing:...Steve

/ Help choosing 240v generator for MIG welder? #23  
bukitcase makes a good point about leaving the remote recever on and draining the battery. I think it is intended to allow you to start/stop if you were on a job site and it would be a pain in the neck to run to the generator every time you want to use a saw.

/ Help choosing 240v generator for MIG welder? #24  
What kind of waveform to the welder/generators produce? Something like the Hobart champion/Miller Bobcat or Lincoln Ranger. I know that they are higher on their wattage output but not sure how clean their power is.

I bought my well used bobcat (not sure which iteration) with long leads and a pickup bed trailer for about 1200. Gobs of power plus the ability to stick weld if it will run your existing mig machines.

/ Help choosing 240v generator for MIG welder? #25  
Generally poor. Trailblazers, if newer produce cleaner power.

/ Help choosing 240v generator for MIG welder? #26  
As i see you have a tractor, maybe a alternator coupled to the PTO might be another affordable option(if they are in the same location obviously)

/ Help choosing 240v generator for MIG welder? #27  
Not to hijack the thread TOO much but what type stick welder would maybe work well with a 12KW Winco PTO generator?

/ Help choosing 240v generator for MIG welder?
Its my understanding that to stick weld @ 150A, you need 7 or 8kw. 12kw is about 50% more power.

/ Help choosing 240v generator for MIG welder? #29  
12kw is lot's. For portability I'd get a 220 volt inverter. 200 amps would cover just about anything you'd need to do but you'd have enough power to run most machines up to about 300 amps.

/ Help choosing 240v generator for MIG welder? #30  
Steve that was more along the lines of my understanding. But this is farther than I've ever investigated generators in the past.

Category 5 Electric Start Generator 9375 Watts, Wireless Remote Control, EPA and CARB-Compliant, Model# 41535 | Portable Generators| Northern Tool + Equipment $949 + $193 ship = $1142

This "Category5" brand is a "Champion". Any thoughts on the "Champion" brand?

I haven't checked to see what the difference is, but this champion has the same rating, 7500 watts/9375 watts. Every now and then it will go on sale for $599. That's when I picked one up. I haven't used it for welding yet, but that's my plan. I have a Hobart 140 and I'm looking at getting PA200ST.

Champion Power Equipment Portable Gas Generator with Electric Start with 7,500 Running Watts, 9,375 Peak Watts and Wheel Kit

Price: $699
Amperage: 30 amps
Voltage: 240V
Wattage: 7,500W
Peak Wattage: 9,375W
Color: Yellow, Black
Start Type: Electric and Recoil