Help--Hardshelled pumpkin bugs

/ Help--Hardshelled pumpkin bugs #1  

jonyyuma

Elite Member
Tractor
kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952
okay, They are back again. Grey armored beatles, are all over the vines in my garden? I am using Sevin spray. Lines or clutches of eggs on both sides of leaves. Usually they kill the vines before the fruit can get large?:mad:

/ Help--Hardshelled pumpkin bugs #2  
I spray liquid Sevin around the base of the plant to heavily saturate the soil at the stem. That seems to be one of the bug's favorite hiding spots. I also spray the underside of leaves to try and get the eggs. When the bugs run across the ground, they get squished with my foot. Some people say that if you have too many, you need to put on gloves and go pick and squish them because you will never get ahead with insecticides. I sure find prevention spraying to be the most reliable. Malathion is also a very good insecticide for any sucking insect.

The problem with pumpkin bugs/squash bugs/borers is that they not only damage the plants and fruit, but they are vectors for plant viruses such as fusarium wilt and verticillium wilt that inhibit a plants abiltiy to take up water. They also carry plant bacteria and spread fungal diseases. Once largely infected the plant may never be able to recover. Early detection or complete prevention are needed to ensure a good crop.

/ Help--Hardshelled pumpkin bugs #3  
I hate cucumber beetles and squash bugs. I have been very lucky, no bugs, for two seasons in a row and hoping for a third this season. I have been moving my patches around, I try not to plant pumpkins in the same patch for at least three summers it seems to be working. Ontario has a pesticide ban and you require a license to purchase pesticides/herbicides. A few of my neighbors use diatomaceous earth and claim it works on most beetles.

I have read that some farmers will plant a few pumpkins very early and move these plants out to the field as soon as warm weather moves in. The idea is to attract overwintering beetles to these plants and kill as many beetles as possible before your main crop gets planted.

Diatomaceous earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

/ Help--Hardshelled pumpkin bugs #4  
You better hope that they are not the dreaded stink bug! If the body looks like a shield, and they smell bad when you squish them that's it. They have invaded the mid atlantic states to the point that is effecting the farms. Google stink bug. Got friends down there and their homes have been invaded.

/ Help--Hardshelled pumpkin bugs #5  
We're organic, so 7 is a no no for us.

However, there is an organic equivalent. Monterey. (Spinosad)
Like Sevin, it isn't cheap, but it is really good. Bugs, beetles drop dead quickly. We've been over run with beetles this year and I'm so glad I ordered Monterey off Amazon. Had it delivered to the house in two business days. Cannot beat that.

/ Help--Hardshelled pumpkin bugs
You better hope that they are not the dreaded stink bug! If the body looks like a shield, and they smell bad when you squish them that's it. They have invaded the mid atlantic states to the point that is effecting the farms. Google stink bug. Got friends down there and their homes have been invaded.

Well I do have them in the attic too...especially in the winter, very close to the ridge vent on the roof. they were coming under the aluminum seat on my sliding rear door. I expanding foamed it to stop them.Yes, something eats the center of the stem to the plants. PS they do stink or pop when mashed..

/ Help--Hardshelled pumpkin bugs
Bp thanks for the organic tip, they are evading the Sevin spray and i am spraying the stem and eggs..