Help me choose a riding mower.

/ Help me choose a riding mower. #1  

Rat Rod Mac

Silver Member
My garden tractor/ lawn mower has finally called it quits so I'm in the market for a new one. Here are the ground rules for the new machine. First, I'm thinking really hard on a zero turn. Second, no more gasoline engines, this one will have a diesel. Third, commercial grade with around a 60" deck max. One more thing, the more grease fittings on it the better. I just love grease fittings. Things last forever when they float in grease. Any and all suggestions and opinions are welcomed. Thank you.

/ Help me choose a riding mower. #2  
Yes, Kubota welcomes your money....

/ Help me choose a riding mower.
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLYS. I mow around three and a half acres. I'm in my 60's this should be my last one. Like they say,,, when you buy quality you only cry once.

/ Help me choose a riding mower. #5  
I have the Kubota ZD1211 60" deck and yes, it was not cheap. Like you it should be the last one I ever buy. It is 24 HP diesel so no regen issues. I would like to put the ZD1511 air ride seat on it at some point, it does not have a spring suspension like some other brands have.

So far it has been great. I mow about 2 flat acres that is fairly smooth, plus some along the road which is pretty steep and rough. In very dusty situations or when there are lots of weeds that I have let go to seed I do have to keep the radiator blown off so it doesn't overheat.

/ Help me choose a riding mower. #6  
I did not see any budget in your requirements, but why eliminate commercial gas powered zero turns. About 90% of the comercial grade gas powered zero-turns have the ultra reliable Kawasaki or Kohler engines. These will cost $6000 to $8000 less than equivalent 60" commercial grade diesel ZT. I have a Gravely Proturn 460 commercial ZT powered by 1000cc (33hp) Kawasaki, with 2100 hours and still going strong. I mow approximately 7.5 acres.

/ Help me choose a riding mower. #7  
I've gone to a Ryobi 42 inch ZT, battery powered, as backup to my JD bush hog. They're on back order, probably not until early June.

/ Help me choose a riding mower. #8  
If your land is flat, a zero turn is fine. Too steep here for zero turn, so I have a Kubota GR2120, diesel. It was the only machine with front wheels that are powered that was low enough to fit under the apple trees. It has made me nostalgic for the wheel horse. Too many headaches to list, not in any way cheap, but the Kubota engineers' ears should be ringing regularly.
Why not a SCUT? More versatile than a zero turn, and not much more money..

/ Help me choose a riding mower. #9  
One more thing, the more grease fittings on it the better. I just love grease fittings. Things last forever when they float in grease.
When the old Bell 47's wocker-wocked their way into the sky, they used to say you could tell how well maintained they were by the amount of grease they threw! :giggle:

/ Help me choose a riding mower. #10  
when you buy quality you only cry once.
I love that

I was in the market a few years ago, bought a tractor package instead.

I have seen and researched a few zero turns that I really liked - Kubota, Cub Cadet ... I'm in a tiny town, and there may be other options worthy of consideration also.

My property has some tougher areas, hills etc., so I gave really serious contemplation to VENTRAC and STEINER machines. Had I not bought the Kubota package, these were the best options for my needs.

all the best as you decide