Help on which thread sealant should I use

/ Help on which thread sealant should I use #11  
FWIW...Teflon is a lubricant not a sealant...it works on most pipe threads because they are NPT and the lubricant helps the taper seal easier...

/ Help on which thread sealant should I use
Loctite 545.

But you only need sealant on NPT threads. Dont use any sealer on ORB, JIC, or ORFS.

If you use NPT fittings....get steel hydraulic fittings. No black iron or galvanized water pipe fittings

Thanks all. I think I'll go with Permatex 565 available at CanadianTire.

Hmm, the 3" extension is actually black iron. I couldn't get it in the hydraulic section. That pipe will sit between the filter head and the tank, meaning it will only see atmospheric pressure no hydraulic pressure. Is that still an issue?

/ Help on which thread sealant should I use #13  
Personally almost any style of paste sealer should work as long as the specs are for "oils" and "high pressure" uses.... As motioned above read the application parameters/specification on back of can or tube to see if it is applicable to what you are trying to do...

I found this product at local hardware store and use it on steel (NPT) and plastic pipe threads (PVC) and fuel and house plumbing, it really seems to be a one product fits all applications...

30520211737_e0f0e83598_z.jpg

You may not be able to find this particular brand, but look at specs on back of tube for examples of application...

Did mention I hate PTFE tapes as it always seem to plug something up no matter how careful I am applying it...

Dale

/ Help on which thread sealant should I use #14  
I had problems with sealing one NPT fitting. I tried lots of stuff including the blue paste which my hydraulic shop recommended, but still had leaks. The 545 was recommended to me by members on this forum. I looked all over for it and couldn't find it, ended up ordering it from Amazon. Kinda expensive, but it works really well!

/ Help on which thread sealant should I use #15  

Hmm, the 3" extension is actually black iron. I couldn't get it in the hydraulic section. That pipe will sit between the filter head and the tank, meaning it will only see atmospheric pressure no hydraulic pressure. Is that still an issue?
That requires an activator. Make sure to buy it. The stuff I suggested doesn't.

/ Help on which thread sealant should I use #16  

There is no issue with black iron on the low pressure return on suction side of hydraulics. Just don't use them on the high pressure side

/ Help on which thread sealant should I use #17  
Lacking thread seal, other than Teflon tape, I tried some urathane construction caulking as a thread seal.
It has worked very well 4 me. Lubricates and sets up solid making an excellent seal.

Also I have noticed that many offshore products seem to use epoxy to seal hydraulic and air fittings. Heat is my 'go to' whenever I need to crack them apart.

Whenever I apply a sealant I always apply it to the male component starting a couple of threads back so as to not introduce any into the flow, be it air or hydraulic .
So far never a problem.