Help please buying used 3 point tiller

/ Help please buying used 3 point tiller #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
Since I asked how much tiller my YM2310 can handle, and received many good responses, I have started looking for an approximately 5 foot wide tiller. Used. Unable so far, but it has only been 2 or 3 days, to find a Yanmar tiller. I will keep looking but I'm not hopeful. So it will probably be a tiller with who knows what name on it. That's OK as long as it will work.
So, what should I avoid? What will work? I have already decided that no driveshaft equals no sale. Aside from that though there might be other considerations. Like making sure the tiller won't hit the rear tires when raised. Is there a way to determine this? Without connecting the thing to my tractor? Any pitfalls to look for? For sure rotating the thing to make sure rotation is correct. Who knows? Maybe some off brand made for some off brand machine has the opposite rotation? But also to feel the gearbox to make sure it doesn't have any spots with higher or lower effort to turn. Or if it feels crunchy. Or if there is water in the oil in the gearbox. Or even if there is oil in the gearbox. Or just water. Or if a drive chain is so rusty that it is more akin to a drive bar. Anyway, you all get the picture. I have limited funds and so will probably need to shop around. But I have time and with some helpful advice from the folks here will probably be able to find what I need.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Help please buying used 3 point tiller #2  
Yanmar has a worldwide and great reputation for making diesel engines. It does not necessarily follow that they would make good implements. Forget matching and find what works with your specs...then share. EA has some. I am too early in my search to help, but I am eager to hear suggestions.

/ Help please buying used 3 point tiller #3  
Since I asked how much tiller my YM2310 can handle, and received many good responses, I have started looking for an approximately 5 foot wide tiller. Used. Unable so far, but it has only been 2 or 3 days, to find a Yanmar tiller. I will keep looking but I'm not hopeful. So it will probably be a tiller with who knows what name on it. That's OK as long as it will work.
So, what should I avoid? What will work? I have already decided that no driveshaft equals no sale. Aside from that though there might be other considerations. Like making sure the tiller won't hit the rear tires when raised. Is there a way to determine this? Without connecting the thing to my tractor? Any pitfalls to look for? For sure rotating the thing to make sure rotation is correct. Who knows? Maybe some off brand made for some off brand machine has the opposite rotation? But also to feel the gearbox to make sure it doesn't have any spots with higher or lower effort to turn. Or if it feels crunchy. Or if there is water in the oil in the gearbox. Or even if there is oil in the gearbox. Or just water. Or if a drive chain is so rusty that it is more akin to a drive bar. Anyway, you all get the picture. I have limited funds and so will probably need to shop around. But I have time and with some helpful advice from the folks here will probably be able to find what I need.
Thanks,
Eric
Where you at in the world.

/ Help please buying used 3 point tiller
Where you at in the world.
A little north of you on Whidbey Island. Like a few hours little, give or take. If you feel like dropping one off I'm only 3 miles from the ferry landing. I'll even pay for the ferry ride both ways.
Eric

/ Help please buying used 3 point tiller #5  
Yanmar has a worldwide and great reputation for making diesel engines. It does not necessarily follow that they would make good implements.
The tillers made by Yanmar-Japan are as good as the tractors. RS-series etc. But you need the special top link components to stay clear of the tires. These till by a slicing action, perhaps to break up rice roots.

The tillers sold by Yanmar-US dealers back in the day were American made. ARPS made a lot of implements for Yanmar, Deere, and Kubota. Or the US 'Yanmar' tillers might have been made by Woods. At any rate they are generic American 3- point specs, they didn't need the special top link stuff. American tillers have more of a right angle and flat blade on the tines.

In my limited experience the Yanmar-Japan tiller does a great job, its slicing action isn't a disadvantage and its quality means nothing is likely to break. There's one feature that needs maintenance on these, and likely on any tiller that has been worked in wet ground: The bearing on the far end of the axle, opposite the gear/chain side, should be inspected and greased. It's a generic sealed bearing and a replacement is inexpensive if it sounds bad.

/ Help please buying used 3 point tiller #6  
A little north of you on Whidbey Island. Like a few hours little, give or take. If you feel like dropping one off I'm only 3 miles from the ferry landing. I'll even pay for the ferry ride both ways.
Eric
Quite a place, gonna do a MC trip to your neck of the woods next summer.

I'll keep my eyes open for a Tiller.

/ Help please buying used 3 point tiller #7  
Hey neighbor! I don't have a tiller for you but I can probably almost see your house. I live in Conway overlooking the bay.

Sent from my XP8800 using TractorByNet mobile app

/ Help please buying used 3 point tiller #8  
I have an old 6 ft yanmar tiller i bought at a good price , It was missing the top link parts and someone had done some torch work on it. I ended up making some brackets that moved the 3 pt pins out about 4 inches, I got a new driveshaft with slipclutch for it , now it works like a charm. Tilled up about 3 acres of food plots with it last year.

/ Help please buying used 3 point tiller #9  
These Yanmar tillers showed up on FB Marketplace.

Last edited:
   / Help please buying used 3 point tiller #10  
Another Yanmar tiller on FB Marketplace.