Help taking apart a tiller gear box

/ Help taking apart a tiller gear box #1  

coaster

Silver Member
Tractor
BCS 715
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but I've read some good posts full of good advice here. So I was hoping that someone could help. I was using my BCS 715 a couple of days ago when I hit a root or some other tough object and the tines just stopped turning. The transmission still works and the PTO still works fine. I confirmed that by removing the attachment. For the tiller attachment, I noticed that I could turn the pinion shaft freely while the tines were still at rest. I assume that means that the beveled gear or the pinion shaft is broken. I would like to take the gear box apart to determine which one so that I can order a new part. I'm going without a service manual (I've learned that it's not easy to find one of them online - guess I have to order one). I'm to the point where I'm trying to remove the beveled gear, but it appears that the tine hub and the coupling have to be removed before that can happen. I see no easy way to do that. Any advice there?

Also for those who have any experience doing this, am I wasting my time? I have no idea as to the cost of either of those parts as compared to a complete gear box. I do not have a dealer close by.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

/ Help taking apart a tiller gear box #2  
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but I've read some good posts full of good advice here. So I was hoping that someone could help. I was using my BCS 715 a couple of days ago when I hit a root or some other tough object and the tines just stopped turning. The transmission still works and the PTO still works fine. I confirmed that by removing the attachment. For the tiller attachment, I noticed that I could turn the pinion shaft freely while the tines were still at rest. I assume that means that the beveled gear or the pinion shaft is broken. I would like to take the gear box apart to determine which one so that I can order a new part. I'm going without a service manual (I've learned that it's not easy to find one of them online - guess I have to order one). I'm to the point where I'm trying to remove the beveled gear, but it appears that the tine hub and the coupling have to be removed before that can happen. I see no easy way to do that. Any advice there?

Also for those who have any experience doing this, am I wasting my time? I have no idea as to the cost of either of those parts as compared to a complete gear box. I do not have a dealer close by.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Have you contacted the manufacturer?

/ Help taking apart a tiller gear box
Wooddust, thanks for the reply. Yes, I did contact the manufacturer before I started taking this apart. They sent me a parts list via Email attachment. The parts list shows a decent parts explosion, but does not provide much info in regards to taking it apart. So I thought I'd try here. Maybe that's my only option though - contacting them for support or getting it to the nearest repair shop I can find.

/ Help taking apart a tiller gear box #4  
I'm not able to visualize what step you're on, can you post a pic?

I don't remember anything other than the parts break down in the manual.

/ Help taking apart a tiller gear box #5  
The blade holder flange(what I think you talking about) has a large nut holding in onto the shaft. It is also a taper fit.

The coupling(not sure why it is called that in the manual) is held on by 4 bolts.

Clytle,

Thanks for the reply. Inserting images seems to ask for a link, so I loaded to a Walmart photo album and grabbed the URL to that. I hope that works. If not, I'll figure it out. Oh, I also scanned the parts list page so that you can see what parts I'm referring to. I see the bolts for the coupling, but it seems that you'd have to remove the hub on that side before you can access the bolts.

Milkman, thanks for the info.

http://photos2.walmart.com/walmart/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3977766002/a=19889209_19889209/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=walmart/

Last edited:
   / Help taking apart a tiller gear box #8  
I am guessing bevel gear means you trying to get the ring gear out?
I just used the exploded parts diagram when removing mine to replace the side seals.
If so the shaft has a side load bearing and when I tore mine apart it broke removing. You will have to tap the shaft out mine was pretty styubborn. I read another post on here that stated a regular bearing could be put in place of the same size, wish I knew that about 6 years ago..bearing was $55.
Looking at Parts diagram #15 coupling is what gets removed from the gear box which will have the #24 Tine shaft and gear attached to it.

Let me know if you need any other help.

Grut

/ Help taking apart a tiller gear box #9  
a puller will get the hubs off, looks like you already got the nuts and washers off.

Thanks, Grut. Sorry about the link. It had an option to share the photos via link, so I assumed that would lead you directly to the album without having to login. Yes, the beveled gear in my diagram is the shaft and gear all as one piece which runs through the gear box and has nuts on each side. I've removed those and from what you're saying I should just be able to tap it out. I just finished a conversation with the guy that Emailed the diagram and he says the same, I'll give that a try. I may have run across a post that said the same about the bearings $12.00 versus $55.00 :) I also asked about the costs for the pinion shaft and the gear - sounds like about $250.00 for those - wow. Maybe it's best to just buy a new attachment. :) Thanks, again.