Help with Bendix

/ Help with Bendix #1  

MillWeld

Gold Member
Tractor
Ford 641
I removed the starter from my Ford 641 to clean the Bendix. I rotated it to simulate engagement and spray with brake cleaner and can't get it back. Take a look. (This thread is a continuation of Starter Issues)

Attachments

• IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 89
   / Help with Bendix #2  
might try jumping it with battery cables a couple times

/ Help with Bendix
It just rotated quietly, nothing more.

/ Help with Bendix
Since the gear is in the engaged position can I install the starter in place and start the tractor? I would have to mesh the ring gear with the Bendix pinion which may be tricky. What I have read is that the pinion won't retract until the ring gear increases the rpm of the pinion, then it retracts. Is that right? What are the risks? I'm over my head. Help.

/ Help with Bendix #5  
Since the gear is in the engaged position can I install the starter in place and start the tractor? I would have to mesh the ring gear with the Bendix pinion which may be tricky. What I have read is that the pinion won't retract until the ring gear increases the rpm of the pinion, then it retracts. Is that right? What are the risks? I'm over my head. Help.

Go to YouTube: Retracting a bendix drive - YouTube
This procedure has worked for my 2N starter.

Of course u need a wire wheel on your grinder.

Sometimes I use a small section of 1/2 inch pvc pipe on the pinion end to make holding the starter a bit easier.

/ Help with Bendix
Well, that is neat. I will try that in the AM. Get back with you later.

/ Help with Bendix
I studied the video of the wire brush technique and decided it would be pretty awkward to hold the whole starter assembly against the rotating wire brush. I opted for another video that popped up involving prying the gear in place while the starter was running - no luck there. So, I took it to a local shop and they did it for $25. Sorry I missed the pleasure of doing it myself but I certainly thankful to all who tried to help me.

/ Help with Bendix #10  
Go to YouTube: Retracting a bendix drive - YouTube
This procedure has worked for my 2N starter.

Of course u need a wire wheel on your grinder.

Sometimes I use a small section of 1/2 inch pvc pipe on the pinion end to make holding the starter a bit easier.

Neat video showing how, but wow what a messy shop in the video lol.