Help with Painting an equipment trailer.

/ Help with Painting an equipment trailer. #1  

JasG

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2650,
I’m restoring a very old equipment trailer and would like some input on painting it. I really don’t want to spend the money on automotive paint, yet I don’t want the thing to be back to it’s rusted state next year. I’ve looked at a few options and was wondering if any of you had experience with these items. One is called X-O rust primer and paint. They have a primer that can be used on rusted metal and it is suppose to stop the rust and prep the surface for painting. The 2nd I’ve read a little about but have not seen yet it epoxy primers and paint. What are your opinions? Any tips on painting would also be greatly appreciated; this is my first major paint project.

/ Help with Painting an equipment trailer.
I’m restoring a very old equipment trailer and would like some input on painting it. I really don’t want to spend the money on automotive paint, yet I don’t want the thing to be back to it’s rusted state next year. I’ve looked at a few options and was wondering if any of you had experience with these items. One is called X-O rust primer and paint. They have a primer that can be used on rusted metal and it is suppose to stop the rust and prep the surface for painting. The 2nd I’ve read a little about but have not seen yet it epoxy primers and paint. What are your opinions? Any tips on painting would also be greatly appreciated; this is my first major paint project.

/ Help with Painting an equipment trailer. #3  
If you are going to completely clean off the old Paint AND rust, then I would go with Epoxy Primer and a single stage Paint. Use a reasonably good brand that low prices (like Nason or SPI), and you should be good to go.

If you are not going to sandblast or get ALL of the rust out, I would recommend either using a product by the name of POR15 or Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator-either of these prodcuts are top notch. POR15 is not good in direct sunlight and they offer a kit to do this. You would want to topcoat the POR15 (it will fade in direct sunlight), and not get it on your hands, as itdoes not come off easily!

/ Help with Painting an equipment trailer. #4  
If you are going to completely clean off the old Paint AND rust, then I would go with Epoxy Primer and a single stage Paint. Use a reasonably good brand that low prices (like Nason or SPI), and you should be good to go.

If you are not going to sandblast or get ALL of the rust out, I would recommend either using a product by the name of POR15 or Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator-either of these prodcuts are top notch. POR15 is not good in direct sunlight and they offer a kit to do this. You would want to topcoat the POR15 (it will fade in direct sunlight), and not get it on your hands, as itdoes not come off easily!

/ Help with Painting an equipment trailer. #5  
I restored a 70's U-Haul car hauler a few years ago and it turned out great, plus its holding up very well with moderate use. I started by sandblasting to bare metal. I was on a budget too, so I went to Cat Equipement and purchased their equip primer, thinner, and Caterpiller yellow paint. Price was very reasonable, I think the paint was ~$30/gal and 1 gal of each was more than enough. I've attached a couple pics, first one is applying the primer per directions on the can

Attachments

• 904378-Trailer 11.JPG
    904378-Trailer 11.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,752
   / Help with Painting an equipment trailer. #6  
I restored a 70's U-Haul car hauler a few years ago and it turned out great, plus its holding up very well with moderate use. I started by sandblasting to bare metal. I was on a budget too, so I went to Cat Equipement and purchased their equip primer, thinner, and Caterpiller yellow paint. Price was very reasonable, I think the paint was ~$30/gal and 1 gal of each was more than enough. I've attached a couple pics, first one is applying the primer per directions on the can

/ Help with Painting an equipment trailer. #7  
Pic 2 is the finishd trailer, I know there are more costly products out there, but for the price I think the factory Caterpiller equip paint/primer/thinner is pretty good stuff. I used a Binks sprayer in my makeshift, plastic sheeting paint booth in my shop. It was a fun project and turned an old junker trailer into a sharp looking rig that I'm proud to have. Have fun with yours! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 904380-Trailer 20.jpg
    904380-Trailer 20.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1,610
   / Help with Painting an equipment trailer. #8  
Pic 2 is the finishd trailer, I know there are more costly products out there, but for the price I think the factory Caterpiller equip paint/primer/thinner is pretty good stuff. I used a Binks sprayer in my makeshift, plastic sheeting paint booth in my shop. It was a fun project and turned an old junker trailer into a sharp looking rig that I'm proud to have. Have fun with yours! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Help with Painting an equipment trailer. #9  
10 cans of rustoleum from walmart will last more than a couple of years. Then reapply as needed. Pressure wash it well, let it dry, and then lay on the cans. Do it in your back yard. The oil based enamel will paint and cure right over grease or fuel.

I've also bought it by the quart and used a 20$ walmart spray gun to paint a bulldozer with it. That paint job turned out real good.

The u-haul trailer turned out good and is more of a 10+ year solution if that's what youi're after.

/ Help with Painting an equipment trailer. #10  
I just repainted a trailer I picked up with Rustoleum gloss black. Wire brushed rusty areas then used 2 quarts, applied with spray gun. This is before pic.

Attachments

• 905887-12K Trailer.JPG
    905887-12K Trailer.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 2,315