Platinum Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
HAPPY HAPPY NEW YEAR

ponytug

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
Happy New Year to all; may it be a better year for everyone.

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
Saw this Craigslist ad:

For sale; 2015 SL840P multi one articulated loader. 38 hp Yanmar diesel engine with 852 hrs. Telescoping boom and self leveling bucket, 4wd with torque divider( position traction) . Hyrdrostatic, 2 speed transmission, joystick controls, low/high flow hydraulics, quick multi connector, great visibility, easy access. 3300lb lifting capacity, 4850lb max hydraulic lifting power, 3200lb machine weight. Adapter plate that fits other skid steer attachments. 60 bucket shown included.

Great loader, runs and operates like new. Always stored inside, regular maintenance.
I also have a stump grinder for the machine that I will also sell. $28,900.00

Is this what a Power Trac would be when it's all growed up?

ArlyA

Elite Member
Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
Hey! I've got that husky mower that's articulated and LOVE it.. Does that count?? :D Sorry that Husqvarna quit making them. :(

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
Well, then I'm good too. :p

johara1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P
The only thing I see wrong is is you sit on the wrong end.... The only big loader that ever was set up that way was a 400 Huff..... you should try to work them at night were you have to back. down a long ramp...... jim

GeneV

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
Saw this Craigslist ad:

For sale; 2015 SL840P multi one articulated loader. 38 hp Yanmar diesel engine with 852 hrs. Telescoping boom and self leveling bucket, 4wd with torque divider( position traction) . Hyrdrostatic, 2 speed transmission, joystick controls, low/high flow hydraulics, quick multi connector, great visibility, easy access. 3300lb lifting capacity, 4850lb max hydraulic lifting power, 3200lb machine weight. Adapter plate that fits other skid steer attachments. 60 bucket shown included.

Great loader, runs and operates like new. Always stored inside, regular maintenance.

That thing is neat!

OP
MossRoad

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
The only thing I see wrong is is you sit on the wrong end.... The only big loader that ever was set up that way was a 400 Huff..... you should try to work them at night were you have to back. down a long ramp...... jim

It's the same end as the PT. I have no problems backing up my machine as there's excellent visibility. Just wish it came with a rear facing light for night work. I've had one mounted for years, but never needed to hook it up yet. It would come in handy once in a while.

johara1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P
You would need two mounted right behind you so the wheels are in the light too and show the ground, maybe up on the back of the roof would work better. Ventrac and Steiner you set on the back half like a big loader so backing up is no issue..... jim

OP
MossRoad

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
I mounted the light under the back of the canopy. Temporary testing proved it'll be fine there. It's a low profile LED about 5" wide and only 1.5" tall. It's been there for 5-6 years, and I've never hit my head on it yet, so I guess it can stay there. :laughing:

I thought about putting it inside the rear of the engine compartment and having it peak out one of the holes at the bottom, but didn't want to block andy air flow.

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
I was under the impression that the operator platform was placed on the front half so that you are always aligned with the bucket (not having to look left or right as you turn).

sd455dan

Elite Member
Tractor
Rhino 554, JD550G dozer Gilson MTD riding mowers Ford 3000-Sold
That thing is neat!

All grown Up?

Neat machine B-U-T

Something seems Fishy with the FEL specs posted on that machine It weighs 3200 and FEL lifts 3300? and it telescopes to.

Lets see It lift the advertised weight and then telescope I bet it would land on it's nose.

Oh found this at their site:

(*) Itç—´ the maximum load that can be lifted just off the ground when the machine is straight, with backweights and on firm, level ground. Boom not extended. Weight of attachment included, the tipping load is the value indicated minus the weight of the attachment.

Mmm they make several sizes of these the 9 series is a bit bigger

Give me an Old Versatile instead:D

1983 Versatile 160 Bidirectional w/DeWeze Bale Mover - YouTube

Last edited:

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
I stand corrected. That Versatile Bidirectional is a Power Trac all growed up!

OP
MossRoad

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
If you look at most large wheel loaders, the operator station is on the back half.

The PTs are on the front half.

Ventracs are on the back half.

There are advantages and disadvantages to either.

With it on the rear, you have no doubt where the rear is in relation to the machine, as you are sitting on it. Then you have to follow the front half of the machine around. In a full turn to the right, you my not be able to see the front left of the machine, and have to guess where it is.

With it on the front, you can always see both corners of the front of the machine at all times. The rear half just follows you along with no worries when you're moving forward, as it follows in your same tracks. However, you can lose track of where the rear of the machine is if you do a bunch of quick direction changes without looking behind you. If you're lifting heavy loads and the rears come off the ground, the rear half of the machine may end up right next to you without you even knowing. It's a weird feeling. However, you get used to it and always keep an eye on it in tight quarters.

Backing up long distances on the PT is fairly easy. In fact, I prefer to travel backwards with a full bucket, as I can go the full 8mph in reverse a lot easier than going forward, as if the bucket bounces going forward and hits the ground, the bucket gouges the ground in front of you and tends to stop the machine like brakes, whereas if you're going all-out in reverse, the bucket is trailing and just skids on the ground should you bounce.

So driving forward, I follow the implement. Driving backwards, I follow the rear of the engine cover. It becomes quit natural and 2nd nature in only a short time of operation.

The only articulated machine I've driven with the operator on the rear was a Wheelhorse Airhorse airplane mover. You sit on the hood with the steering wheel between your knees and operate it backwards. Never had to wonder where the rear of the machine was, because you were sitting on it.

OP
MossRoad

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
I stand corrected. That Versatile Bidirectional is a Power Trac all growed up!

Yes, that's the machine I'd get if I had hobby money. I could have a lot of fun with one of those. Been looking a them for decades. Just don't need that size of a machine.

OP
MossRoad

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Ventrac controls
[video]https://www.ventrac.com/video/playlist/PLU6reQZhgG69a60wGztByKJt2uFvOfh3c[/video]

sd455dan

Elite Member
Tractor
Last edited:

OP
MossRoad

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
My friend's brother-in-law's cousin, or should I just say "I know a guy" :laughing:, has a versatile with a large hydraulic snow blower on the FEL arms. He owns a dairy farm and only brings it out every few years for the drifts and such. I saw it about 20 years ago, so can't recall any more details than that.

We went to go ice fishing on his pond which is about a mile or so back through fields and woods. We got stuck about 100 yards into the trip. He brought the versatile down the lane, pulled us out, and blew us a path down to the pond and cleared the return path for us. We gave him a few dozen bluegills all filleted and packed in return for the privilege to fish on his pond. :)

SpringHollow

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1850, NH 2120
I have never wished that I sat on the rear of the tractor instead of the front. There are circumstances where having a non-articulating machine would be a benefit but for me, the pluses far outweigh the minuses.

Ken

johara1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P
I was under the impression that the operator platform was placed on the front half so that you are always aligned with the bucket (not having to look left or right as you turn).

Not on any real loader with one exception is a Huff made by International. Just backwards from what your thinking, speed in loading at truck is not having to full around going backward and to get over the bed when the bucket is all the way up. How you set up to back the truck in determines how fast you can load with the least amount of travel, and what spills off the back goes right back on the pile. You get that when it pulls out and you have the bucket in the air for the next truck to pull under and you stop him when you dump the bucket. A driver that doesn't back in right will get his check at the end of the day unless he pulls some **** like trying to upset you, he will go down the road right then..... Try loading a 150- 200 loads a shift with a bunch of 100 ton trucks you don't have time to fool around you don't have Time to see where the back end is. Those big loaders don't have a throttle, brake or a steering wheel...... jim

sd455dan

Elite Member
Tractor

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
I worked at Oshkosh Truck. They built a fire truck for the military, off road. It was "articulated" in 2 spots. Quite the drive train!

sd455dan

Elite Member
Tractor
I worked at Oshkosh Truck. They built a fire truck for the military, off road. It was "articulated" in 2 spots. Quite the drive train!

That sounds like a cool truck
i always liked the articulated Landmaster design It articulated in 2 planes
The wheel assemblies had the ability to rotate over rough ground
somewhat amphibious to
the tristar could be the drive in water
The 'tri-star' wheel arrangement was developed by Lockheed and patented in the 1960's.

Last edited:

OP
MossRoad

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
As I've mentioned before, the first articulated machine I drove was a Wheelhorse Airhorse aircraft tug. I found a video of one exactly like the one I drove. Heck, the guy says he bought it in Valparaiso, Indiana, so who knows, it may have been bought from South Bend and I could have driven it. We had two of them. Anyhow neat machine for moving aircraft. You scooped up the nose wheel and off you go. It also had fork attachments for specific aircraft with dual nose wheels, like a Mitsubishi MU-2. And a hitch attachment for other plane specific tow bars. I recall towing Beech 18s and DC3s. Incredible power from, as I recall, a Sundstrand pump.

ernemats

Platinum Member
Tractor
power trac 422, and agco-allis 5660, john deere 550 dozer ,1845 power trac
Neat little machine

Hay Dude

Tractor
Case-IH MX-270, MF7495, Kubota M135XTDSC, Kubota M126XTDC, Kubota F3680, Kubota ZD331
All grown Up?

Neat machine B-U-T

Something seems Fishy with the FEL specs posted on that machine It weighs 3200 and FEL lifts 3300? and it telescopes to.

Lets see It lift the advertised weight and then telescope I bet it would land on it's nose.

Oh found this at their site:

(*) Itç—´ the maximum load that can be lifted just off the ground when the machine is straight, with backweights and on firm, level ground. Boom not extended. Weight of attachment included, the tipping load is the value indicated minus the weight of the attachment.

Mmm they make several sizes of these the 9 series is a bit bigger

Give me an Old Versatile instead:D

1983 Versatile 160 Bidirectional w/DeWeze Bale Mover - YouTube

That is a nice machine. A retiring farmer in NJ had a similar unit in Ford/NH blue. Only wanted $18,000 for it, but it was $17,999 more than I had at the time. :laughing:
Ultimate Swiss Army knife, but lots of hydraulic hoses to maintain.

sd455dan

Elite Member
Tractor
As I've mentioned before, the first articulated machine I drove was a Wheelhorse Airhorse aircraft tug. I found a video of one exactly like the one I drove. Heck, the guy says he bought it in Valparaiso, Indiana, so who knows, it may have been bought from South Bend and I could have driven it. We had two of them. Anyhow neat machine for moving aircraft. You scooped up the nose wheel and off you go. It also had fork attachments for specific aircraft with dual nose wheels, like a Mitsubishi MU-2. And a hitch attachment for other plane specific tow bars. I recall towing Beech 18s and DC3s. Incredible power from, as I recall, a Sundstrand pump.

That is neat, friend bought an old American Coleman tug- but it was not articulated-It sure did have plenty of power with a 318 Chrysler engine.
Had all wheel drive AND all wheel steering Very similar to this one

https://i0.wp.com/www.grooshsgarage.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/57-14.jpg

OP
MossRoad

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Nice beast! :thumbsup:

We had an old military tug, probably from the 40's, with a 4 cyl engine and manual transmission. The rear fenders looked like they dug curved shapes in the sand and poured in molten steel. It was about as large as a standard Jeep, but weighed 10,000. The engine died. Our mechanic went to a junkyard and got a used Chevy 350 and TH350 tranny. We spent a couple days wedging it in and making custom headers out of square tubing and pipe. It was a real cobbled up job. :laughing: Then for fun we put in a tilt steering wheel out of a Buick. :laughing:

That thing would move a 727 no problem. I wish I had taken pictures of it, but that was 40 years ago.

ponytug

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
I never ceased to be amazed at what good mechanics can build.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best,

Peter

OP
MossRoad

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Nice beast! :thumbsup:

We had an old military tug, probably from the 40's, with a 4 cyl engine and manual transmission. The rear fenders looked like they dug curved shapes in the sand and poured in molten steel. It was about as large as a standard Jeep, but weighed 10,000. The engine died. Our mechanic went to a junkyard and got a used Chevy 350 and TH350 tranny. We spent a couple days wedging it in and making custom headers out of square tubing and pipe. It was a real cobbled up job. :laughing: Then for fun we put in a tilt steering wheel out of a Buick. :laughing:

That thing would move a 727 no problem. I wish I had taken pictures of it, but that was 40 years ago.

I think the rear differential was something like 27:1. In drive it had a top speed of about 8mph.

But it wasn't articulated, so that goes in the negative column. :laughing:

OP
MossRoad

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
How about an LT-6540?

0B699478-BF86-4735-B34B-65FB1E8CD65D.jpeg

m5040

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M6040 L2250, JohnDeere 310D, Ford 841 Elenco, Ford 961, Trapmaster, PT180 w/LM bucket and 45" brush cutter, PT1430 Deutz w/grapple bucket, Antonio Carraro Tigrecar 6500. John Deere 5300. Former owned Steiner 430 max, Goldoni REV Maxter 7
Saw this Craigslist ad:

Nice pretty picture on perfectly level ground, lets see how it does working on hills. If you intend to run high HP implements, you should check with the manufacturer on the hydraulic cooling capabilities, I would bet you will get surprised on on little it has.