High Efficiency A/C Filters?

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
How many of you use the High Efficiency filters in you A/C units? I never saw the benefit, until this year when our allergies were so bad. Sharn Jean talked me into buying one of the HE filters in hopes that it would help with the allergies. I think it has helped some, but out of necessity we still spend time outside, so the allergies still persist.

I did notice one thing though; about the same time I installed the new filter, I did a two day house cleaning (Yeah, I do most of it, Sharn Jean gets breakfast in bed (not really) and does some custom sewing on the side) including a thorough dusting of the furniture, much of which is antique, wooden and are huge dust collectors. I have had the filter installed maybe a couple of months, and a recent inspection showed that there is little or no dust accumulation on the furniture! I guess the $18.00 price tag is worth it!

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #2  
I have been using them ever since I had cancer and found out the benefits when I stayed at Hope House during my treatment. They not only use HE filters, but clean everything weekly.

All food had to be cleaned up and put away quickly as it will get into the air also when left out.

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #3  
dust rarely comes from the A/C unit. It comes from many sources, outdoors, pets,etc,.
If your A/C unit wasn't designed for those thicker filters. I wouldn't use them.
Most returns I come across are undersized as is. Adding those thicker filters cause more issues.

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #4  
It’s tough to compare as different brands use different ratings. We have used the $15-20 verity for years. We also have a thermostat that just runs the fan in “recirculate” randomly to help scrub and churn the air. We also tried the electrostatic filters......no bueno!

With allergies they say cleaning OUTSIDE but within 4-6’ of the house also helps a lot. Get rid of weeds, dead and decaying plants and fallen leaves and fix drainage etc. These are all sources of molds, pollens and grasses that are common allergens. As you found out carpet holds dust and the above offenders as well.

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #5  
I'm a firm believer in changing the filters at least once a month on the first. I did just that this morning!! I use pleated filters and buy a couple of three packs at a time so I always have some on hand. When I'm doing a lot of work around the house, and creating more dirt then normal, I change my filters more often. At one point last year I was changing them every week. I also wash out my AC coil with a little water a few times during the summer to keep them clean. I just pour a little water over it and vacuum out the excess. My HVAC guy showed me how they do it and it's really simple. I also pour a half cup of bleach down my drain line when I change my filter.

I think that it's more important to change the filter often, then to get a more restrictive filter that catches more stuff, but then plugs up sooner and restricts air flow.

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #6  
We have three different heating/AC units with different size filters. For years I have got all the filters from the place linked below. They have every conceivable size, type, and efficiency rating, and are very informative about what their various filters will do for you. And cheaper than local stores. I have experimented with different efficiencies (MERV ratings). For us, a moderate rating filter works fine. My wife has springtime allergies and using the moderate filters while replacing regularly seems to help.

Home page

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #7  
dust rarely comes from the A/C unit. It comes from many sources, outdoors, pets,etc,.
If your A/C unit wasn't designed for those thicker filters. I wouldn't use them.
Most returns I come across are undersized as is. Adding those thicker filters cause more issues.
I've heard that also. They can put a lot of strain on your blower motors.

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #8  
I think that it's more important to change the filter often, then to get a more restrictive filter that catches more stuff, but then plugs up sooner and restricts air flow.

The higher the MERV rating, the more "restrictive" the airflow can be in the system, affecting the static pressure, which can lead to issues noted by Kenmac.

Minimum efficiency reporting value - Wikipedia

There is a whole world unto itself for "Indoor Air Quality" accessories (other than air filters) that actually could be beneficial to many.

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #9  
I think you are giving up a lot of efficiency for less dust. Many HVAC installers have told me this. An electrostatic filter is probably a lot better option.

/ High Efficiency A/C Filters? #10  
I'd use a better filter if we didn't have the windows open 90% of the time... keeping the newly hatched chicks out of the living room (in a mesh-covered box) would probably help the dust issues too.