High lift coal delivery dump trucks.

/ High lift coal delivery dump trucks. #12  
Funny, you guys are looking at tires, and this is what stood out to me ...

COAL.png

Nah, nothing could go wrong.

Question to the OP, were the pics taken from a local historic site or were they found online? Only reason why I ask is the only A F Carter company I could find was related to West Virginia coal (actually an interesting case on behalf of the company that went to the US supreme court, if the same company in the picture).

I only ask because of all the lumber pictures previously posted from the paciffic northwest and I assumed (perhaps incorrectly of course) that the pics posted were from the PNW (didn't think coal was used that much out on the west coast close to a century ago, but have no clue).

The other pic, Blue coal, what I found on that company, if indeed the same company, no clue on my end again...

Blue Coal's checkered past revealed in bankruptcy | News | citizensvoice.com

All one has to do is look at the coal industry back in the early 1900's to see an interesting checkered past with money, labor and politics.

Growing up, always heard stories as a kid about the Mollie Maquires that were hung at the county courhouse.

Both of my grandfathers died before they hit age 56 due to coal mining accidents. OSHA and the federal government weren't really involved back then, even in the 40's and 50's.

/ High lift coal delivery dump trucks. #13  
When I was a kid living in SE Pennsylvania, our house was on a 5 foot high bank. I remember that the coal was delivered like that until we moved west in 1963. It was hard coal we called chestnut (size).

/ High lift coal delivery dump trucks. #14  
I still burn coal, it provides well over a third almost a half of my heat.
But I get my nut coal in 40 pound plastic bags a ton per pallet
I use 3 to 4 ton a year.

/ High lift coal delivery dump trucks. #15  
I remember as a kid burning coal to offset the wood heat especially if the snow got so deep we couldn't get into the woods. Sure gives off the heat but also made a mess in the house from the dust and soot. We hauled our own in central Mn.