Hitch installation

/ Hitch installation #1  

reb

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM1500D
I appeal to the superior mechanical abilities of my fellow TBNers. I bought a receiver hitch to install on the wife's truck. It requires four bolts and 1"x2" spacers be placed inside the box frame, about 8" and 18" from the end on each side. Included are four "bolt leaders," stiff wires with coils on the ends, obviously to fit over the bolt while fishing them into the holes. In my semi vast diy mechanical experience I haven't come across this before. My guess is that the bolt and spacer are attached to the coil and inserted into the rear of the frame and manipulated until the end of the bolt sticks through the hole. Then, I suppose a nut could be started on the end of the bolt and the wire pulled on until the coil unwinds and can be pulled out. Is there a better way? Any hints from those who have done this? Thanks.

/ Hitch installation #2  
Sounds like you have it figured out. They are for holding the 'nut' until the bolt is started in its threads back in the frame. Some frames are enclosed and no other way to get at the nut to hold it.
Good luck.

/ Hitch installation #3  
Kudos! you figured it out correctly!...

I was very impressed at how easy it was, and that they bothered to provide the coil thingy...very handy indeed!

/ Hitch installation
Thanx Mathey and Beenthere. Now all I have to do is to get the boss to let me know how high this belongs on my honeydew list.

/ Hitch installation #5  
On my CRV, it probably only took 30 minutes, and some of that was spent with the Dremel enlarging the 2 frame holes to accomodate the large washer...the hardest part was holding the dang thing up while trying to get the nuts threaded on...