Home Made Creosote?

/ Home Made Creosote? #1  

charlessenf

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
For a number of years, I've been soaking roofing shingles in diesel fuel and using it to treat posts I bury in the ground.

Now, I've taken to saving the black stuff that forms inside my steel fireplace box and adding it and some ash to the mix. Wondered - "Is this Creosote I'm making?"

/ Home Made Creosote? #3  
Yes it is, and one heck of a good wood preservative.

/ Home Made Creosote? #5  
I kinda thought that creosote was coal oil? (whatever that is)
So Lou, it's petroleum based?

/ Home Made Creosote? #6  
Several variations as I understand it, but many solid fuels and some liquid ones when burnt or charred at low temps will produce creosote.
Much was made from coal that charred for coal gas for lighting. Many of the early municipal lighting systems used coal gas and one of those byproducts was creosote. Many woods will create creosote directly, think chimney fires. The dry creosote from wood boilers and coal stoves when mixed with diesel fuel makes a liquid creosote .

/ Home Made Creosote? #8  
Do the roofing shingles dissolve completely?

/ Home Made Creosote? #9  
   / Home Made Creosote?
The dry creosote from wood boilers and coal stoves when mixed with diesel fuel makes a liquid creosote .
OK, That's what I do. Scrape the black stuff from the insides of the firebox and mix it with the fuel oil (same as I use in my tractor). Curious to learn if there is an online source for this DYI creation.

BTW: "coal gas, gaseous mixture—mainly hydrogen, methane, and carbon monoxide—formed by the destructive distillation (i.e., heating in the absence of air) of bituminous coal and used as a fuel. Sometimes steam is added to react with the hot coke, thus increasing the yield of gas."

I did find that the stuff I'm scraping and adding to the diesel is CREOSOTE and how it forms: "
Additionally, in the early 1980’s, tests were conducted to discover which kind of wood created the most creosote in a regular “open” fireplace. The results were surprising. Contrary to popular opinion, the hardwood’s, like oak and poplar, created more creosote than the softwoods, like tamarack and pine. The reason for this is that if the softwoods are dry, they create a hotter, more intense fire. The draft created by the hotter fire moves the air up the chimney faster! Because it is moving faster, the flue gas does not have as much time to condense as creosote inside the chimney. Also, because the flue gas is hotter: it does not cool down to the condensation point as quickly.

Unlike softwoods, dense hardwoods tend to smolder more, so their flue temperature is cooler. This creates more creosote condensation on the surface of the flue. The misnomer that pine builds up more creosote than oak just isn’t true! It is not the sap in wood that causes creosote."

Still no source for creating a liquid creosote from these flakes.

Last edited: