Homemade 3 PTH Winch

/ Homemade 3 PTH Winch #1  

David Devuono

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B4200\MF 135\Kubota B3200
Note quite ready to hire a large Excavator so thought I would hobble together a winch to try and move some boulders. Since I will be pulling them down a slight incline, thinking with one or 2 pully blocks, I should be able to skid a 10,000 lb rock. My Massey only has a 30 amp alternator and the Kubota B3200 has like a 16 amp, so I am going with a couple of 110 amp hour AGMS. They were free from a UPS system so thats what I am using. I still have to clamp the batteries down. The winch has both wired remote and wireless but being Chinese made, its not likely really a 10,000 lb winch but I will find out next weekend.

Attachments

• FILE0795.jpg
    FILE0795.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 985
  • FILE0797.jpg
    FILE0797.jpg
    988.3 KB · Views: 1,163
   / Homemade 3 PTH Winch #3  
I have been very disappointed with my electric winch work. I wish you better results. There is what is called the ;" Hospital side" to this type of work. Stay out of the rocks way.

/ Homemade 3 PTH Winch #4  
I would also remember to add a hanging weight to the cables under load. You want something to keep them from slapping back at you in case a cable snaps. Of roaders use a heavy blanket or similar draped over the cable.

/ Homemade 3 PTH Winch #5  
You might want to make the spades under the fairlead longer so that you can get a bigger bite and prevent the tractor for just being pulled backwards.

/ Homemade 3 PTH Winch #6  
Very curious how this works out. I've been toying with the idea of building a logging winch - and the major stumbling block is trying to figure out what kind of winch to use. If an electric winch would work - that would make the whole idea seem a little more viable.

/ Homemade 3 PTH Winch #7  
Ever thought of slipping a 100amp 2 wire alternator on your rear pto..???

/ Homemade 3 PTH Winch #8  
I'm curious about more details of the PTO driven alternator.......
However I am totally electricity illiterate........ So keep info at that level please.

What RPM does it need to turn to be effective ??
Could you use a "one wire" GM type alternator ?? Like you would use for a wind generator ?? The kind with a built in voltage regulator ??
How would you wire it to the batteries ??

Thanks

/ Homemade 3 PTH Winch #9  
Would you have room to upgrade your tractor alternator to a higher capacity one? On my Oliver I changed from a generator/regulator to a "1" wire alternator. I have a 12,000# Badlands winch which mounts to my "skidding" boom on the 3 pt hitch with an 875 amp deep cycle battery. I used an 8 gauge set of battery cables with eyelets to connect the winch & tractor batteries together. A 2 pole connector is in the cable to allow me to connect/disconnect the "boom/battery/winch" attachment quickly.