homemade dual axel trailer

/ homemade dual axel trailer #1  

radioman

Tractor
Kubota BX24
My father had a small massey ferguson lawn dump cart that is made with thick metal sheet for over 30 years. I have tried to find another one just like it and no one makes it like it anymore. I bought a crappy lawn dump cart from tractor supply with nice tires but the sheet metal is like 1/16 thick! It doesnt hold up well and I had to tack weld it back together in many places. So it time to make my own that would be easy to service and keep for many years to come.

I need your help to see if my dream can come true or not. I am thinking of making a towbehind trailer for my BX with daul axels that is onyl 4 ft by 6 ft or so long. I am hoping to take apart two OLD junk lawn tractors for the rear tires and maybe the axels.

My questions are: can I use old bed frames for the frame of the trailer or is it too soft and thin? Has anyone taken old lawn cheapo tractor transaxels apart and salvage the axels and use rear tires? What should I think about when building a small trailer for my BX ? I am hoping to use next to free parts for building this trailer, but right now its a pipe dream until I realize it can be feasible. I have a 110V welder, buncha of hand tools and a can do attitude.

I was thinking of using the rear large tires from lawn tractors for trailer tires to support more weight and be more stable for hauling firewood in winter mostly and dirt for summer projects. I proabably will make it a dump trailer and will do it manaully but I want to optimize it and make it hydralic ready as well for future when I get too old to lift. I might make it mostly out of osb or plywood and will replace it every 5-10 year due to dryrot unless someone can point me to 1/4 thick sheet metal.

I would appriecate ideas and suggestion so I can collect parts over the winter for a spring project.

/ homemade dual axel trailer #2  
radioman,
I feel for you. I have been using a couple of "garden carts", and while they work for light items, they can't take muck weight or abuse.
I have been kicking around a tandem axle cart as well. I was going to use regular trailer axles and tires. It was going to be built heavy, but no so much as that it can't be moved empty with a large garden tractor. The reason for trailer wheels and tires is to make it "road ready"

I was also planning on a hydraulic dump with a hand pump. For a bed, I was going to use 1/8 inch steel. Several shops can shear and bend it on a brake. The remainder of the parts, I was going to make.

/ homemade dual axel trailer #3  
radioman,
I think bed frame angles would be way too light for your project. The ones I'm familiar with are only about 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8. Seems you'd want 3 x 3 x 1/4 minimum or 4" channel for a small trailer with some weight capacity. You can certainly take a clue from your TSC trailer and build it heavier.

Is your dad's trailer still around? Can you post some photos?

Maybe hit up the local junk yards and see if anyone has a small travel trailer frame and running gear that you can modify. That could get you started with a frame to cut down, one axle and a hitch. Then you'd just need the other axle and your axle pivots.

/ homemade dual axel trailer #4  
Check out the Country Manufacturing trailers RadioMan...They might make a great base for you. LOTS of older threads here on TBN about them also.

/ homemade dual axel trailer #5  
What about a cheap HF 4x8 trailer.. they aren't much money and should carry more than garden tractor tires.

/ homemade dual axel trailer
Good ideas guys, however due to being laid off, the funds isn't there. I thought about the harbor frieght trailer and modify it with the tires I got. I was just wondering if I "could" make do with what I got laying around and have something to keep me busy while my kids are in school. It sure would beat waiting for that phone call that may never come.

The question here so far that is burning in my mind is the lawn tractor transaxels. Has anyone taken it apart and can it be salvaged to get rid of the housing ? I saw a thread on here where someone didnt take it apart and used it as is.

/ homemade dual axel trailer
OH forgot about my father's dump cart- yeah its still around kicking alive and he is still using it :eek: I'll have to take pictures of it someday when I visit him.

/ homemade dual axel trailer #8  
Some Mowers have frames you could use the frame from one of them and the front wheels . if you could find a garden tractor the front wheels are 8". I have one with decking boards for a floor & side boards Is made from angle about 2 1/2 ".

/ homemade dual axel trailer #9  
If you dont want to buy anything and have enough bed rails, you might still be able to use them by making a box with 2 of them and stitch welding them together and using that for the frame. If you have enough, you could also double that for about half the distance in the axle area and have a double box which would probably carry a pretty good load especially if you crossbraced them so they wouldnt twist.
Another thing you could use for tires is old golf cart tires. You can find them for $10 each on any craigslist complete with rims. There is an abundant supply around my house since lots of folks are putting lift kits on the GC and using them for hunting. Not sure what you could use for an axle for them without buying the axle. You can find lots of golfcart parts at buggiesunlimited.com But you could carry all your bedrail frame would safely hold with a single axle unless you just want the double axle for aesthetic reasons.

/ homemade dual axel trailer #10  
Here's a link to the build I did that is very similar to what you are proposing. I used 2 lawn mower axles, used ATV metal shipping crates, and re-claimed wood.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/87841-dump-trailer.html

I've been using the trailer regularly ever since I built it, and I love it. Nearly all of the cost was in the pump, the battery, and the paint. If you don't make it to dump, you'll be able to do it very cheap.

I've loaded the trailer clear full of damp dirt and dumped it just fine. The axles never have showed any signs of stress. I didn't do a thing to the axles. I just leave them in neutral.

Feel free to ask whatever questions you want. I'll monitor the thread and try to be helpful.