Homemade headache rack for my truck

/ Homemade headache rack for my truck #1  

Luke'sScreenName

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX4800 with BH-90X hoe; Hustler FastTrack 48; B3300SU (sold); 1969 Case 680B CK (sold)
Not tractor related but I am happy with the result so I thought I'd share. I'm a novice welder/fabricator and this is the biggest thing Ive built from scratch so go easy on me.:drink:

I wanted a headache rack to strap lumber and ladders to for transport in my 6ft bed. I also wanted to limit wind drag a noise at highway speeds. So I designed it such that the to cross bar is LOWER than the cab and the side supports are NARROWER than the cab sides. The rack is tall enough that if I lash a board to it and the closed tailgate the board will clear the roof. But that height meant that the cross bar would obstruct the cab break light (a no-no for state inspection here) so I built it with a dip down in the middle and a 3/8" rod to complete an unbroken plain at the top.

I read a lot about people complaining about wind noise and howling at speed. So to reduce the risk of this further I built the rake out of square tubing cut on the 45deg thinking that this would help with airflow. :confused3:

I got cut-off waste cold rolled mild steel from a local supplier at near scrap price. 2x2" 3/16" for the upper parts and 1.5x3" 1/4" for the bed rails.

I mocked with a sheet of plywood until I was happy with the side profile and rigged some jigs to hold the tubing in the 45deg while cutting and welding. I dont have a welding table so I settled for a well supported sheet of plywood, a just of water, and a fire extinguisher. :duh: Nothing burned down this time.

IMG_20160515_125100741.jpg

IMG_20160515_173310868.jpg

I MIG welded with solid 0.035" wire on 240V with my Everlast welder.

Once I had the sides done I used a laser level and some high school geometry (thank you Mr. Grey but you're still a bastard :D) to cut the compound angle bird's mouths for the horizontal cross piece.

IMG_20160518_105453956.jpg

IMG_20160518_140958109.jpg

I then fabricated the cross piece.

IMG_20160605_102114654.jpg

A trial fit on the truck went well

IMG_20160607_152605894.jpg

So I drilled counter sunk holes in the "Bed Rails" for long grade 5 bolts witch I welded in place and cut off the head and ground smoothish.

IMG_20160612_122423042.jpg

Then I drilled holes in my truck's bed rails, painted the exposed metal, and capped the headache rack's tubing.

Another post to come....

/ Homemade headache rack for my truck
My truck bed and step rails are coated with line-x bedliner so I did the same with the headache rack. I had it sandblasted for $40 and sprayed for $180, plus probable another $50 for steel and consumables. Not to mention the inordinate amount of my time! I would definitely been cheaper to buy one but what's the fun in that?

Oh, I also added tie-downs at the front.

IMG_20160701_172136083_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160701_172125262_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160701_172147366_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160701_172210383_HDR.jpg

/ Homemade headache rack for my truck #3  
Wow... nice work...

Don't cut yourself short, your skills are more than 'novice'. The tricky part is fitting the parts together, and with the angles complicated by the square tube turned, even more difficult. Excellent job! I'm looking forward to more pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Edit: ok, you posted more pictures while I was posting!

/ Homemade headache rack for my truck #4  
That looks awsome!! I defiantly agree with dieselcrawler your skills are much about novice. The way to notched and welded that together had to be incredibly tricky. Just need to put expanded metal in there so you can save your back window when loading ladders and lumber

Thank you both very much but if you knew how many hours went into building it you would be less impressed! Lol.
I am proud to say that I never had to re-cut any pieces. Which is better than I can say on my last crown moulding job.

/ Homemade headache rack for my truck #6  
Very nice! Is it quiet?
Jim

It is at 60mph. Haven't had it above that yet. I'm curious about gas mileage but it can't get much worse anyways!

/ Homemade headache rack for my truck #8  
Nice job where the guard on your grinder ? Better hope ossa do sent see that

/ Homemade headache rack for my truck #9  
Very nice Luke'sS..N.. I like it

gg

Thanks again. Fortunately, OSHA has no business at my home. And since I'm pretty much the only person who will load the bed I'm more concerned about rear visibility than breakage so no expanded metal for now.